Help needed to Reicast core no longer accessible

Hi all. Newbie here to retroarch, but very quick learner. My issue is in retro arch 1.7.5 all my Naomi games were working fine no issues, however whilst trying to remap certain controller settings I managed to mess up retroarch, which gave me input issues within retroarch itself. In my wisdom I deleted retroarch completely and installed 1.7.7 only to find there’s no reicast core only flycast which I believed after some digging is the replacement. However none of my naomi games work anymore. I tried changing the .ini file to use flycast instead but still no dice. Is it possible to reinstall the reicast core into retroarch to get my games running again. And if so how? Do I need root access? I’m using nvidia shield

Thanks in advance

Flycast in the new name of the reicast core but nothing else has changed.

Can you provide more information about the problem you’re having? Error message, log, etc…

So found out flycast uses the following file extensions:

• .cdi
  • .gdi
  • .chd
  • .cue
  • .zip
  • .m3u So does this render my existing Naomi ROMs useless? As they use .ist. .bin .dat format Also Mame doesn’t want to play these either? Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply, does this mean my atomiswave.ini and Naomi.ini need to point to flycast_libretro_android.so instead of reicast core? All my Naomi ROMs I have use .ist .bin .dat .eeprom extensions.

I’ve read them Mame now is the way forward but I’ve tried and they still won’t run, I’m guessing as Mame uses .zip format?

This format has been deprecated since last year, afaik it still works (you don’t need lst file though) but it is recommended to use MAME roms instead, they generally work better.

Thanks, is there any way to convert my existing ROMs to new format or is it just a matter of find new ROMs?

No, roms with .bin and .dat extensions are already conversions and there’s no way back.

I just downloaded ikaruga Naomi rom which is a .zip format

Put it into the the Naomi rom folder. Made sure the .xml has the ikaruga game listed. Also edited the .ini file to point to use flycast core. Still no dice, game attempts to load goes to black screen for 10 seconds then quits back to retroarch, what am I doing wrong?

Do you have the naomi bios (naomi.zip) in the system/dc folder?

For ikaruga you’ll also need its GD dump (gdl-0010.chd), basically your setup should look like this :

• rom_dir/ikaruga.zip
  • rom_dir/ikaruga/gdl-0010.chd
  • system_dir/dc/naomi.zip

Where rom_dir is the folder of your roms, and system_dir is your RA system folder. The file to launch is ikaruga.zip. While we don’t check CRCs, using latest MAME dumps is recommended.

Yes I do. All were working fine with reicast until I reinstalled retroarch 1.7.7

Great minds and all that, you posted as I got solution. I downloaded .chd and rom and changed the .ini to point to flycast and it booted straight up

So next question is I presume is not all my existing ROMs will be in .chd so just matter of finding ROMs in .zip format is this correct?

Also do atomiswave ROMs now use flycast too?

Naomi roms can be zip or zip+chd (if the zip is very small, there is generally a chd needed).

I think atomiswave roms are zip only, you’ll need the atomiswave bios too (awbios.zip), there are other bioses that are game-specific, you can see the full list in the core information (https://github.com/libretro/libretro-super/blob/master/dist/info/flycast_libretro.info).

1 Like

Great stuff

Many thanks for everyone’s help. New to this but I’m learning pretty quick