Help - someone help a new starter :-)

I recently got a home arcade machine. Its runs Retroarch and Lakka on a raspberry. Excuse if this makes no sense but I am a novice. I have used emulators and roms loads on PC so know a little. Does anyone know how I can get mame and mame roms on to it? Sounds simple to me but I guess its not. I would appreciate any help at all.

I don’t know lakka, but you should be able to get libretro cores through “Online updater > Core updater” in retroarch menu.

I recommend you use fba instead of mame on raspberry, it performs better. I can’t help you about where to get roms, for obvious reasons. After you put your roms on your sd card, you should be able to add them to the retroarch library by using “Add content” in retroarch menu and selecting the directory which contains your roms.

Ah ok i have FB Alpha on my machine. Sorry to sound so dumb but are they are a separate rom set? I am looking to play classics like turtles and simpsons etc… Thanks!

yes, they’re a separate romset with some overlap with one or more mame sets. Just google ‘fba roms’ and the first hit should get you fixed up.

latest fbalpha (not fbalpha2012 !!!) is based on mame 0.172 romset, if you have it you should be able to run most games. If you are not sure and know how to run clrmamepro (or want to learn ! it is easy and very helpful for managing your arcade romsets, i really recommend googling it), dat files are there : https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/tree/master/dats