Help, using MAME on PS3, location? file format?

i don’t know where to start to be able to play standup arcade cabinets on my PS3, I got nes, snes, Sega, to work perfectly, but I don’t know where to put the mame roms or even what they should look like. I get the files from [MY LEGALLY DUMPED EEPROMS] and they arrive .zip when I unpack it, I get a bunch of files that make no sense (file extensions like F4,K1,C4). I am trying to play dragons lair, space ace, ladybug, zaxxon, donkey Kong and a handful of others.

do I need to put these files into a folder? do I need to rename the folder something? where do I put the folder?

any help would be really appreciated.

You don’t unzip them. When you load an arcade core and then go to load a zip ROM, it’ll ask you whether you want to browse the archive or open it. Choose to open it and it will try to load it with the core.

However, you need to make sure your ROMs come from the set that the core expects. Arcade ROMs only work with the version of the emulator that they’re designed for. There are utilities, like ClrMamePro that can convert among different versions.

Bingo Bango!!! it works!!! Thank you very much, I know how I will be spending my weekend now!! its a little backwards, but when I open the game once, it seems to remember and also the screen was stretched past the display of my TV, but there seems to be every possible adjustment in Retroarch and I figured that out too.

Thanks for the quick reply

1 Like

The files I get that have weird proprietary files and folders seem to work, IE: ladybug, ms pacman.

the ones that do not work have .bin files in them IE; Dragons lair, dragons Lair 2, space ace.

there seems to be 4 options built into Retroarch and I tried all 4, is there something I am missing? can I try something else?

Dragon’s Lair 1 & 2 and Space Ace are laserdisc games. Their roms only contain code of the video player, simple images/fonts and game logic, you also need the laserdisc files with the video itself, which are quite large (several gigabytes).

Also note that MAME has support for these games removed as they are still being sold, e.g. on Steam. The only emulator that runs them ATM is Daphne, which has no libretro core.

Well that sucks !!! Guess ill wait another 20 years