Help with Mupen correct aspect ratio

So from what I’ve read, the correct resolution for the N64 is 320x240. Some games uses varying resolutions but they all come out at most letterboxed in some way to still output 320x240.

I am using a resolution of 3840x240 outputting a 15khz signal to an SD CRT from my PC. Even though I am not getting any kind of artifacting, everything looks too tall. When I switched it to 3840x224, it looks much more accurate but now I am getting pretty bad artifacting.

What do I need to do in order to get it to look like the real n64’s scaling and aspect ratio?

my settings:

video_driver = “gl” record_driver = “ffmpeg” camera_driver = “null” wifi_driver = “null” location_driver = “null” menu_driver = “rgui” audio_driver = “xaudio” audio_resampler = “sinc” input_driver = “dinput” input_joypad_driver = “xinput” video_aspect_ratio = “17.000000” video_scale = “3.000000” video_refresh_rate = “59.940060” audio_rate_control_delta = “0.005000” audio_max_timing_skew = “0.050000” audio_volume = “0.000000” audio_mixer_volume = “0.000000” input_overlay_opacity = “0.700000” input_overlay_scale = “1.000000” menu_wallpaper_opacity = “0.300000” menu_framebuffer_opacity = “0.900000” menu_footer_opacity = “1.000000” menu_header_opacity = “1.000000” video_message_pos_x = “0.050000” video_message_pos_y = “0.050000” video_font_size = “32.000000” fastforward_ratio = “0.000000” slowmotion_ratio = “3.000000” input_axis_threshold = “0.500000” state_slot = “0” netplay_check_frames = “30” audio_wasapi_sh_buffer_length = “-16” input_bind_timeout = “5” input_turbo_period = “6” input_duty_cycle = “3” input_max_users = “5” input_menu_toggle_gamepad_combo = “0” audio_latency = “32” audio_block_frames = “0” rewind_granularity = “1” autosave_interval = “0” libretro_log_level = “1” keyboard_gamepad_mapping_type = “1” input_poll_type_behavior = “2” video_monitor_index = “2” video_fullscreen_x = “3840” video_fullscreen_y = “240” video_window_x = “0” video_window_y = “0” network_cmd_port = “55355” network_remote_base_port = “55400” dpi_override_value = “200” menu_thumbnails = “0” xmb_alpha_factor = “75” xmb_scale_factor = “100” xmb_theme = “0” xmb_menu_color_theme = “4” materialui_menu_color_theme = “0” menu_shader_pipeline = “2” audio_out_rate = “48000” custom_viewport_width = “3840” custom_viewport_height = “240” custom_viewport_x = “0” custom_viewport_y = “0” content_history_size = “100” video_hard_sync_frames = “0” video_frame_delay = “0” video_max_swapchain_images = “3” video_swap_interval = “1” video_rotation = “0” aspect_ratio_index = “22”

Do you have ‘crop overscan’ turned OFF in settings > video? I’m not sure if that actually does anything in that core, but it’s the first thing to check.

It was on. I turned it off, and I see no difference.

So, not only do things look too skinny, but the picture is being cut off too much as well. In Paper Mario, I can only see half of the bottom part of the text in speech bubbles, since they appear at the top of the screen.

In case anyone is google searching N64 aspect ratio settings for PC to SD CRT, here are the settings I have for N64 on retroarch using a PC outputting 15khz 240 to an SD CRT, using the closest match to real hardware (keep in mind, some games play in different resolutions, so they may appear more zoomed in than other games). I used Yoshi’s Story on a genuine N64 and just kept going back and forth between that and Retroarch to get the look as close as possible to genuine hardware.

video_fullscreen_x = “3840”

video_fullscreen_y = “240”

custom_viewport_width = “4160”

custom_viewport_height = “240”

custom_viewport_x = “-250”

custom_viewport_y = “0”

Adjust custom viewports on a per-game basis as neccessary. Yoshi’s Story, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy all look great with no adjustments needed. Paper Mario, Super Smash Brothers, F Zero X, and various other games crop a lot from the top and bottom or left and right are examples of games that need viewports adjusted.

If only I could figure out how to zoom the whole image out. Then there would be no need to adjust viewports for any game…

I’ve noticed when comparing Super Mario 64 to genuine hardware that the text may be blurred depending on what vertical position the screen is. A good live example is the scrolling text when starting a game in Star Fox. You’ll notice the letters blur together during some parts of the scroll, then become clear during other parts…

FIXED!

After you load up a rom, press F1 to bring up rgui, then press backspace twice to get back to the Main Menu. Go to Quick Menu > Options > Crop Mode, and just turn it off!

Kind of embarressing how easy it was to fix, but at least it is figured out!