Help with PSX Emulation

Hello! I have been trying for weeks to fix an issue. My issue is cut scenes and most still images look terribly pixelated. Gameplay looks amazing though. In games like Tekken 3 The actual fighting looks great. The characters look smooth and all the background details look amazing. However, the opening cut scene looks like a pixelated mess and in the fighter selection screen all the fighter pictures look really pixelated also.

Games like Cyber Tiger are unplayable because of this issue because the game is a pixel mess. The ball is in the shape of a “t” rather than round for example.

I have tried so many different combinations of video and driver options and really the only visual effect I can change is the internal resolution. Most other changes don’t affect my problem.

I have also tried a lot of different shaders and those seem to compound the issue rather than fix it.

I have a windows 10 gaming PC with 16 GB of RAM and an Nvidia 970 OC. My PC should be able to run this stuff no problem.

ePSXe looks good but I don’t want to use it. I mention this just to state that my driver settings for the vid card should be ok but I’m open to anything at this point.

Anything anyone can recommend I will be willing to try it! This is a great community and I’m excited to be here! I appreciate everyone’s help and I hope you have a great day!

Those UI elements and videos are unaffected by the internal resolution increases. If you’re using GL as your video driver, you can use the texture filtering core option to help with some of it, but for the most part, your best options are to either run at native resolution and use a CRT- or xBR-style shader on the entire screen or run with increased internal res and use one of the xbr-3d shaders for the corresponding scale factor.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give it a try and report back!

How do you use the “texture filtering option”?

That option only works with GL (i.e., doesn’t work for Vulkan or software rendering). In the GL renderer, just set it to the algorithm you want to use and it will take effect.

This is an example of what I cannot seems to fix. I have tried so many options and filters with no luck. This is a screen shot from the cyber tiger score card. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

That sort of thing is usually caused by PGXP. Try turning it off.

I tried messing with this settings as well. Should I reset the rom or anything like that?

Also, my PS logo at the bios screen is also pixelated and not very smooth. Should it be?

Yes, you need to close content and then re-open in between changing the PGXP options.