Hide Soft Keys + Requests

Hi, thanks for reading this. Some time ago I was using MAME4droid to emulate arcade games in Android (Xperia SP), but I replaced that for the far better Final Burn Alpha core, the only thing I miss from MAME, is that it hided soft keys automatically, so it filled the whole screen.

Is there an option to hide soft keys?

Also, Reicast for Android has a interesting feature regarding controls, it auto detects if you’re using a external controller and auto-hide the overlay controls, and if you touch the screen it will open the touch controls overlay immediately.

Can it be added to Retroarch as well?

Thanks again!

All of the overlays have a hidden/minimized setting that you can reach by tapping the (usually) gear icon a few times. There’s also the ‘immerse’ overlay, which is invisible by default but brings up some handy hotkey-type stuff when you tap the screen. We don’t really like to make things automatic because it becomes an error-prone black box.

Got it! What about the soft keys? Xperia phones and some others doesn’t have “physic” keys for back/home/menu, and Jellybean doesn’t seem to autohide it, but MAME hided it automatically when a game started, is there an option to hide soft keys?

We’ve talked about this feature in the past, but I think it was ultimately rejected because it pushes the Android version requirement higher…?

MAME4droid and stock apps such as Movie hides soft keys even in Jellybean and without any previous configuration to do so, and it doesn’t need root or anything, it would be great if Retroarch had this option, my workaround for this is using HideSoftKeys app.