Hide "yellow overlay text" in screenshot - Ubuntu

I can’t for the life of me find any info or work out how to; not have yellow “Taking screenshot…” text in my screenshots.

It’s maddening to me, that this is the default behaviour, AND information on how to not have this, is seemingly impossible to find.

I even found the “Display overlay” setting and set it to “off”, and it had no effect!

1 Like

I don’t get it in my screenshots unless it was already up there when I pressed the screenshot hotkey (e.g., if I’m jamming on it to take a few of them in series).

Nevertheless, go to settings > onscreen display > onscreen notifications > enable onscreen notifications OFF

Yes your experience was mine, on the Windows version - though I’m using it on Ubuntu right now. (I should have mentioned. I’ll update the heading) And yes I turned that exact option OFF - the darn thing still stubbornly shows up :frowning:

Actually I found out if I choose “Take screenshot” from the menu, it works correctly. This will do for me at the moment…

Seems fine here in Ubuntu. I’m able to turn off notifications with no problem.

Motherf… I’m right now about to record it happening to demonstrate the problem, and I reproduced it each time, and then suddenly - it finally screenshots WITHOUT the yellow text.

It happened after I spammed the “Display overlay text” option on and off rapidly in frustration during the test recording, to prove it wasn’t working - yes it was in the OFF position to begin with, where I left it last time. But now it works correctly every time. (I would upload the video as proof that it happened, but there is a cut before I open the picture since the picture wouldn’t open straight away and I had to pause the video to work out why it wasn’t opening - the next time I unpause was after that picture opens…)

Are you using the install from the Software Manager? I am. I see that it’s a snap install, I wonder if it wasn’t allowed to save its settings correctly or something…

Yeah, I mostly use the snap package (I maintain it, so using it regularly lets me keep abreast of bugs with it).

1 Like

Ah I see. Well, I can only tell you I honestly saw what I saw, settings were the same - but it’s working now. Of course if I see any other strange behaviour I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I believe you. Computers do weird shit sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok I’m back! It didn’t fix itself, and I can PROVE it’s happening, with video evidence! And I think I know the situation it happens in. It seems only when you have Window Scale set to 1.0

The reason I thought it started working is because I ended up looking at old screenshots by accident - Retroarch was updated with Ubuntu auto-updater and the folder for the screenshots changed!

To be clear; taking screenshots from the menu works correctly. Taking screenshots with the F8 shortcut is what includes the yellow text, even with Display Overlay set to OFF.

Here is the video proving it happens!

Ok, there are a few things going on there, including a minor bug:

The bug is that yes, taking a 1x windowed scale screenshot will have the txt on it.

However, you’re going into the onscreen overlay menu and turning off overlays. The OSD text is in the onscreen notifications menu. If you turn this off, the yellow text isn’t displayed even on a 1x screenshot (i.e., workaround for the bug).

Also, if you’re trying to take 1x screenshots, rather than capturing a tiny window, you can go into settings > video and set GPU Screenshot Enable to OFF and it will dump perfect 1x raw screenshots from any scale and with no effects/notifications/etc. on top.

EDIT: I went ahead and made an issue for the bug:

1 Like

Ah, thank you so much - I knew there was probably a better way to capture pixel perfect screenshots. Glad to help find a minor bug anyway.

1 Like