Hotswap controllers (like a gameconsole or RetroN5)

I was thinking of setting up a emulation-pc with dedicated player-1 and player-2 USB ports, just like a gameconsole. With a setup like this it could to possible to hotswap controllers, even during gameplay. I have, for example, two USB ports, two wired Xbox360 controllers and two wired NES30 pads. These could be translated to usb_id=1 and usb_id=2, the controllers to input_device=Xbox360 or input_device=NES30 In RetroArch every combination would have to be configured, so: usb_id=1 and input_device=Xbox360 with a certain button configuration usb_id=1 and input_device=NES30 with a certain button configuration usb_id=2 and input_device=Xbox360 with a certain button configuration usb_id=2 and input_device=NES30 with a certain button configuration If the USB port and the controllers could be mapped and configured like this (always usbport with inputdevice) it would even be possible to hotswap during gameplay.

It’s something I would think the RetroN5 must have implemented in some way with it’s controller options on the left and right side… Is something like this theoretically possible with RetroArch?