How can I record a video with Retroarch?

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and I would like to ask you a question : How can I record a video of a game with Retroarch, because when I try to make one, Retroarch creates a file in the .bsv extension… How can I change this ? Sorry for my bad english.

BSV recordings are just logs of the buttons pressed and aren’t actual video recordings. These are good, though, because the actual video dumping won’t run in real-time if you plan on having filters/shaders applied to the video, so you can record your playing as a BSV, then play it back with the video dumping turned on and it can run as slow as it needs to.

That said, to turn on video dumping, go to settings > recording and turn on ‘record enable’ and make sure ‘gpu record enable’ is on. If you want to specify certain codecs or settings for your recording, you can use a record config file, like this:

which can be selected on that same recording settings screen.

So What you say means that if I turn on both the record and the gpu, it will make a video in a standard video format ?

Hmm. doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m not sure how the recording from the GUI works exactly. I’ve always done it from the CLI (not that I’ve done it very much, mind you). Directions for doing it via CLI are on that same wiki page I linked.

So I need to input command lines in the file Retroarch.cfg ? Sorry, It takes long to me to understand