How can I use the Real Wiimote feature of Dolphin?

I have a real (and working) Wiimote of an old Wii, and I was able to map the buttons using xinput driver and a program called Touchmote wich translates the motion of the Wiimote to the mouse cursor movements and assigns its buttons to a xbox360 control (emulated), so I can remap all that in Retroarch in order to play some Wii games.

Everything is fine for games like Mario Galaxy, but when I want to play a game like WiiSports (that requieres movement), I can’t, because it can’t access the real acelerometer of my Wiimote.

So, instead of trying to remap a Wiimote, I want Retroarch to recognize it as a Real Wiimote like Dolphin does. Is it posible at this point?

In fact, I notice that there is the “Bluetooth scan: Continious” option at the Quick Menu and my Wiimote even vibrates when I start a game (it connects) but is not responding, and the button remaping options desapears when “Real Wiimote” is selected and Retroarch has been restarted, as one would expect (because if I’m using a real Wiimote, I don’t need to reasign it’s buttons).

1 Like

It’s apparently possible, though I’ve never used/tried it. It’s purely contained in the core and sort of sidesteps RetroArch’s input functionality.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful, I just didn’t want this to go unanswered forever.

1 Like

I know I had this working well enough to play Skyward Sword with no issues, so it’s def do-able. I just can’t remember exactly what I did. I wanna say only one type of Wii-Mote was working for me, but I can’t remember if it was the original with the Wii-Mote + adapter, or the newer version with WM+ built in…

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’ll try to ask someone for a first version of the WiiMotes to look if the problem is that. By the way: I love Retroarch sooooo much. I’ll even try to install it to an old Windows 98 laptop for my daughter’s. RetroaArch is AWESOME :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the idea!!!

Here is the commit that added Wiimote support with the Mayflash DolphinBar.

Perhaps if you read through the code you can figure out the settings.

Thanks for that. I’ll check the code…

:pensive: :frowning_face: I’ve tried everything. I’ve used a normal WiiMote, a MotionPlus WiiMote and doesn’t work. With both of them I’ve tried to use them just by connecting the WiiMotes Controllers vía Bluetooth (by skipping the PIN method required by Windows 10, I used the “Printers adn Devices” Add method) with no result.

I also tried to install it with Julian Löhr’s driver (https://www.julianloehr.de/educational-work/hid-wiimote/) with no result (With that, I can map the buttons; but can’t control the game).

The best approach for me was to use Touchmote, but I can’t have the acelerometer as I posted.

I tried the xinput controller, the dinput controller, the HID and the sl2, with no results in any of them. The best one for me was the xinput with touchmote.

I remember that, in Dolphin, you didn’t need the WiiMote controller install for it to respond to your control with the acelerometer. But I love so much Retroarch that I don’t want any other emulator. I just have this bad inconvenience :confounded:

1 Like

Not sure if it will help, but I just resetup my wiimotes for Dolphin a day or two ago and listed out how I did it here:

I hope it helps though!

3 Likes

And this Works in Retroarch or just in Dolphin emulator?

Don’t bother, I read all the conversation. I don’t have the Dolphin Bar; but I’m going to buy one to be able to connect my WiiMotes

1 Like

I def recommend it. I beat my head against the wall for a long time with wiimotes before I got the bar. Made everything so much easier. I just think of it as an adapter now, kind of like if I wanna hook up my X360 controllers.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you very much for your assistance!

1 Like

Hello! I have the original Wii sensor bar and can easily set up and use real Wiimotes on Dolphin standalone emulator. But I just can’t figure out how to make it works on Dolphin core in Retroarch. Is there any step-by-step tutorial, or anyone that knows if it is really possible to use real Wiimotes with the current release of Retroarch in Windows 10?

I really think it is possible since we have a ‘Real Wiimote’ option in the control setup, but dunno if there’s any trick, driver change, bluetooth emulation and so on. Thank you so much!

As suggested above Rob, you better get the Dolphin Bar. It looks possible, but I can’t figure out how either. Don’t waste your time like us :sweat_smile:

Hi! Yep, I have a generic ‘Dolphin Bar’ too, that works flawlessly on Dolphin standalone. I can even use the Bluetooth passthrough feature, that is really close to a real Wii using my PC.

But I already have a lot of games and cores on my Retroarch, and for my kids it’s perfect to navigate and play. The problem is that in Retroarch I’m stuck with sideways and classic controller games, since we can’t use the Wii remote.

The point is that it’s a bit frustrating to see a feature like ‘Real Wii Remote’ in the options and we just can’t make it works! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Well, for now, I’m using Dolphin standalone instead and dreaming about ‘passthrough Bluetooth’ like feature in a future release of Retroarch!

But I can’t believe that no one has made this work so far, so, while there’s life, there’s hope.

Hi guys

So I have a mayflash dolphin bar, PC windows version of Retro arch. Official standard Wiimote (not motion plus).

Works in windows (Mode 1) and works in Dolphin standalone (Mode 4).

I can not for the life of me get it to work in RetroArch!

When I start retro Arch its says MAYFLASH ADAPTER CONFIGURED (#1-5), but I cant map any buttons in retroarch SETTINGS/INPUT.

Does Retro Arch not support the mayflash Dolphin bar? or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 Like

Did you figure this out? I can’t

I also had trouble with this. My interim solution was just to use standalone Dolphin for Wii and Retroarch for Gamecube.

My Dolphin bar is a seperate battery powered device.

1 Like

Yes, thank you for all the help

1 Like