How do I customize controls for a single core & make it stick?

I want my nes core to use the inside buttons (y, b Nintendo convention) for a and b for comfort. I thought that saving core overrides from the quick menu would make the changes stick but that isn’t happening. Controls reset back to default after loading the game again.

Load a game -> Quick menu -> Controls -> Manage Remap Files -> Save Core Remap

go back to Controls -> Port 1 controls -> do your changes

That’s it.

3 Likes

Oh that’s right, thanks.

1 Like

One follow-up question. There is a control setting for analog-digital that enables me to use, for example, the left joystick as a d-pad. I used core override for this and the setting stuck. Why did that stick when I didn’t use the core remap setting when changing main controls don’t?

There are 2 different menu for input configuration,

Main menu -> Settings -> Input

This are general settings for inputs in retroarch.

the other one is

Quick menu -> Controls

and is used to set controls for the current game/core.

Maybe you changed settings in the first so it kept it a a general setting or saving core override kept this setting for that core.

if you want to clear any override:

Load a game -> Quick Menu -> Overrides -> remove core override

This is mostly for understanding how things work. I’m very very sure I only made changes through the quick menu. I was setting up the Odin 2 last week through this weekend and made just that one change in the core menu, using the override to save the change (I thought). Only today did I try futzing around with customizing the actual button mapping.

Yeah, not sure what happen but as I mentioned before clearing out the override should be ok.

One thing I do with Retroarch is to set Save configuration on exit -> Off this will avoid unwanted/accidental configuration changes, so that if I want to change something, that I am sure of, I will manually save the configuration.

1 Like

That is fair. The main configuration changes I use on both windows and android systems are customization of the save-state controls, using the left joystick on older d-pad consoles, and remapping buttons for the NES (because the thumb angle starts to get painful for the A and B buttons).

1 Like

for mame better use the core control config by pressing tab key. more convenient.