How do I find mame roms that work with Retroarch?

Finding roms that work on Mame normally is a mess. But since Retroarch uses a specific version, it’s even harder. Does anyone know how to do this? I don’t think ClrMamePro can downgrade roms to a specific version, or can it?

Also, where do I put parent roms, bios and chd files so Retroarch will recognize them when I run a game that needs one?

It can downgrade. That’s how I got my 078 set. Just get any full set and then use clrmamepro to downgrade to the version you need.

I believe parents, bios and chd all need to be in the same directory as the ROM you launched. So, you can put kinst.zip and kinst.chd into a ‘Killer Instinct’ subfolder, but you can’t put, for example ssf2tj.zip in a subfolder away from ssf2.zip, or mslug.zip in a subfolder away from neogeo.zip.

[QUOTE=hunterk;24679]It can downgrade. That’s how I got my 078 set. Just get any full set and then use clrmamepro to downgrade to the version you need.

I believe parents, bios and chd all need to be in the same directory as the ROM you launched. So, you can put kinst.zip and kinst.chd into a ‘Killer Instinct’ subfolder, but you can’t put, for example ssf2tj.zip in a subfolder away from ssf2.zip, or mslug.zip in a subfolder away from neogeo.zip.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Do you have any idea which version the mame 2015 git and mame 2010 cores are in Retroarch 1.2? Also, you’re really helpful Hunterk :3

heh, thanks. I do what I can :slight_smile:

mame2015 is very recent… 151, maybe? 2010 is v139, which has sets easily available (it’s the same set used for some mobile MAME ports, I think…?). 2003 is v078, which is extremely fast, though obviously a lot of newer, more complex games don’t work with it.

sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you get mame to save settings in retroarch?

Edit: nevermind i found a post on this forum, and sorted it.