How do I install RA 1.3.6 on 9.3.3?

Hello folk, I am having trouble installing retroarch. I tried downloading the latest build from the build bot, then installing the .deb pack. afterwards, i stashed it because I did not have enough room to unpack the assets. after stashing and unpacking assets, I tried respringing and rebooting, but the retroarch app does not appear on the spring board. Perhaps im going through this all wrong. If 1.3.6 does not work for my phone yet, should I go back to 1.0.0.2? or is there a newer version I can use.

Lastly, is it possible to get steam controller to work on any version of retroarch? maybe set it up as a keyboard and connect it to the wireless dongle it came with via iphone plug to usb adapter/connector?

thank you guys <3

edit: i tried installing a random cydia app because I read that it can make the retroarch icon appear, but no luck.

edit2: ok i figured out how to install one of the latest builds off of build bot. im not sure if it is 1.3.6 or not but thats fine. anything I need to know for setup? or just use online updater? also I am still curious about the steam controller topic.

edit3: i cant figure out how to get my buttons to appear on the game boy emulator gambette. cant find the dpad etc.

in 1.3.6. overlays, or virtual buttons are on the settings tab when you first open the app. choose the overlay you prefer and set it for both

I recommend getting the bios from the emulation wiki. go to their “multiple platform emulation” section, and download the retro arch bios file. then copy and paste that file named “system” and replace the system file inside your retro arch main directory. this should provide you with the bios needed to play games at full speed.

what about the two questions I have? do you know?

1. where are the controls/buttons? at one point they appeared, then i hit some sort of keyboard looking button and they disappeared.

2. Can a steam controller work on the emulator/iphone?

i will do the bios swap because I might as well. I have nothing to lose. Thank you.

hmm. hold your phone so that it is in portrait mode while playing any game. then touch the middle of the very top part of your screen, I think it should bring up a menu, hit “switch” in the top right and it should bring it back up. you should be able to change your button layout by going to settings>onscreen overlay and change the overlay preset and keyboard overlay to the same thing. they’re all categorized. I use the psx one by default.

as for the steam controller, I have no idea. try controllers for all on the bigboss repo in cydia??

Have they ever gotten controllers for all to work with RA?

yes, and native MFi controllers work as well. but you can’t map the “select” and “R3+L3” buttons.

I was also wondering do you have to map every button for each gam

Which WIKI would this be? I was looking at the libretro wiki and I am not seeing the sections to which you are alluding. Sorry if I’ve missed something.

I think it’s frowned upon to share links but If I were you, I would type in “emulation wiki” in Google, do the first result, and go to multi system emulators. they should have retroarch and everything to do with it there

as for button mapping, no on pretty sure there’s native configs that usually sort things out for you based on the core used

Well, I probably shamed my clan by posting some links to help another guy earlier today. Apologies.

I’m not sure it’s a rule but I definitely don’t want to get banned. maybe ask a mod where the official bios are stored.

Linking directly to copyrighted files (including BIOS files) and/or ROM sites is indeed a no-no. Just describe how to find the site via search engine.

For example, I frequently tell people to ‘google “fba roms” and the first hit should get you fixed up’.

If you are using controllers for all, you cant but if you use mfi controller, like in my case im using Snes8bit controller and Nimbus works perfectly fine. I can map start and select.

Well, it depens on what are you using, i have tried with steelseries nimbus and i have to map my controllers, but today i tried mame2000 core and use Snes8bit controller and controllers were already mapped. I didnt needed to change them, but you can.