How do I install Retroarch?

Hi there, I’ve tried installing this file: http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/ios/RetroArch-ios-v1.0.0.2.zip

It doesn’t really look like an .api file to me. I have no idea how to install it…

I tried downloading from Cydia, though it’s the old version, 1.0.0.1. I want the version 1.0.0.2 and the Libretro Repository doesn’t seem available.

I did a phone format since things were going slow from all the stuff I enjoy trying out on Cydia, I didn’t think the Repository would die.

Anyone able to help me out?

On further study it looks as if it’s just the raw file. I’ll see if I can just inject it through iFunBox into the App section.

[QUOTE=Darnassus;20280]Hi there, I’ve tried installing this file: http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/ios/RetroArch-ios-v1.0.0.2.zip

It doesn’t really look like an .api file to me. I have no idea how to install it…

I tried downloading from Cydia, though it’s the old version, 1.0.0.1. I want the version 1.0.0.2 and the Libretro Repository doesn’t seem available.

I did a phone format since things were going slow from all the stuff I enjoy trying out on Cydia, I didn’t think the Repository would die.

Anyone able to help me out?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know as well. TIA

Hbbbt… come on guys. Why not have a tutorial / instruction how to install it from PC through iFunBox or something…?

If the Repository’s down like it has been for a while now… why not have some workaround?

Sell yourself, I want your product… but I cannot get it.

No offense intended but this is really crippling.

It’s a community project, not a product, and no one’s selling anything / getting paid. We’re sharing something that we work on for free.

If you think documentation for something would be useful, write it. We need more iOS users pitching in and helping with that sort of thing and providing meaningful bug reports.

Alright I used a poor choice of words, I know it’s free, not a product and open source / community. But I want to be able to use it…

My word choice is bad, I do apologise and also for my frustration… I just REALLY love using RetroArch but I cannot seem to make it work anymore since the Repo is down.

I need an alternative way to get it to work.

Also thank you Hunterk for the quick reply… most of my frustration and worry is that I am afraid I won’t get a response.

Easiest way to install it:

1. Download the latest nightly Retroarch zip file, all the cores and info files you want to use. (alternatively use version 1.0.0.2 that I think it has all together).
  2. Unzip it all into a RetroArch.app folder in your PC ( recommend this in order to put all the cores and files in their right folders).
  3. Using ifunbox put this folder in the System Application section.
  4. Change the ownership of all the files to user: root, group: wheel (or mobile, really doesn’t matter here)
  5. Change the permission of ALL the files to 644 (owner: read, write group: read world: read)
  6. Change the permission of the RetroArch.app folder and RetroArch file (executable) to 755 (owner: read, write, execute group: read, execute world: read, execute)
  7. Respring and you will be able to start the application… enjoy

Hope this helps you guys

Err… alright, let’s give it a whirl.

Edit: OKAY… Seems I cannot copy the file into the ‘System Applications’ section.

I also have AppSync to make sure I can do this…

I’m still unsure what the __MACOSX file is for, it came with the RetroArch.app file, too.

[QUOTE=Darnassus;20293]Err… alright, let’s give it a whirl.

Edit: OKAY… Seems I cannot copy the file into the ‘System Applications’ section.

I also have AppSync to make sure I can do this…

I’m still unsure what the __MACOSX file is for, it came with the RetroArch.app file, too.[/QUOTE]

Well I have found that you cannot create directly in ifuxbox in the section System Applications.

The __MACOSX is a temp folder not realy needed so can get rid of it without issues.

Try this to overcome the system applications issue:

Instead use the “Raw File System” Section in ifunbox and get into /var/stash once there look within those weird named folders until you find the one containing the “Applications” folder inside, get into it and then drop the RestroArch.app and continue with the instructions.

Hey another easier alternative is to look the internet for the .deb 1.0.0.2 version. It won’t the in the libreto repository and it’s down but it may be somewhere. That way you wont get the lastest version but you will get the most stable and functional one out there.

the dile is something like: retroarch_1.0.0.2.1_iphoneos-arm.deb

[QUOTE=netux79;20295]Well I have found that you cannot create directly in ifuxbox in the section System Applications.

The __MACOSX is a temp folder not realy needed so can get rid of it without issues.

Try this to overcome the system applications issue:

Instead use the “Raw File System” Section in ifunbox and get into /var/stash once there look within those weird named folders until you find the one containing the “Applications” folder inside, get into it and then drop the RestroArch.app and continue with the instructions.

Hey another easier alternative is to look the internet for the .deb 1.0.0.2 version. It won’t the in the libreto repository and it’s down but it may be somewhere. That way you wont get the lastest version but you will get the most stable and functional one out there.

the dile is something like: retroarch_1.0.0.2.1_iphoneos-arm.deb[/QUOTE]

http://pan.baidu.com/wap/shareview?&shareid=8376145&uk=4211798810&dir=%2FRetroarch(arm%20android%26ios)%201.0.0.2%2FRetroArch%20for%20ios%201.0.0.2&page=1&num=20&fsid=937543009612770&third=0

I found this, what do you think?

I’m currently trying out the previous step as I await your reply. Also, thank you so far…

P.S. If you’re using chrome, right click and translate to english, otherwise, the download button is the blue bar on the RIGHT

Edit:

I’ve dropped it in, right click and ‘Permissions’ gives me no notification or option box… it disallows me to make ANY edits without any error or reason why. It’s basically a button that does nothing.

So far things are looking positive, I’ll give the phone a reboot and see what changes if permissions are needed regardless.

Just curious. If I installed the old 1.0.0.1 RetroArch and then searched it’s location in iFunBox and replaced it all with the files from 1.0.0.2, what would happen? ;x

Edit 2: Well the icon is there, but of course when I open it, it instantly closes and nothing happens. Damn! Seems Permissions is a critical part.

Where do I put the 1.0.0.2.1.deb file one? ':f

Yes it will also work with 1.0.0.1 and then replace everything… however you may end with old files that are no longer used. This way you may not need to set permission at all (just be careful not delete the files first because then you will lose the permissions)

The permission button is somehow buggy in ifunbox… just try it again until the popup appear. BTW, sometimes you change the permissions and if you try to see then changes again you may see the old values of the permissions… the changes were applied but as it is buggy you may want to close the popup and retry until you see that the changes were applied.

Yeah that version of 1.0.0.2 may work… to install is using ifunbox drop it in the Cydia App install section and reboot your phone. (please be sure to uninstall any previous retroarch version you may have)

You have plenty of options to try… good luck

[QUOTE=netux79;20298]Yes it will also work with 1.0.0.1 and then replace everything… however you may end with old files that are no longer used. This way you may not need to set permission at all (just be careful not delete the files first because then you will lose the permissions)

The permission button is somehow buggy in ifunbox… just try it again until the popup appear. BTW, sometimes you change the permissions and if you try to see then changes again you may see the old values of the permissions… the changes were applied but as it is buggy you may want to close the popup and retry until you see that the changes were applied.

Yeah that version of 1.0.0.2 may work… to install is using ifunbox drop it in the Cydia App install section and reboot your phone. (please be sure to uninstall any previous retroarch version you may have)

You have plenty of options to try… good luck[/QUOTE]

I dragged the .deb file into the ‘Cydia App Install’ section, rebooted the iPhone, started Cydia and got this…

I guess I need to turn off all my tweaks now or something.

I’ll give the other way a try as well… see what happens.

Edit: http://imgur.com/PwnJnJP,krIOmNa

Apparently it’s in Cydia, but there’s no icon to execute it… ':f

Did Cydia start automatically or you launched it?

When you drop the .deb as you did by simply rebooting it should have installed the application and placed an icon in the springboard.

Now, if you have a bad Cydia installation you may won’t be able to install it this way :frowning:

Nope it installed I just do not have an icon on the springboard. ( I was looking for that word, springboard, hehe. )

By the way is there an IM service I could speak to you on? Might be easier. Can post the log here for other users. ':x

To Clarify

I dropped it into the Cydia App Install area

Rebooted the iPhone

Opened Cydia

Got that message

Says it’s installed anyway. But no icon on Springboard

Edit: OOPS! Sorry, I re-read your post. I LAUNCHED Cydia. It did not open on it’s own. I will try again… see what happens.

Same thing, apparently I need to change permission of Cydia to 4777?

… Why can’t this darn app be put into an API file or something…

Or just… draggable to a specific location inside the iPhone. :'c

Please turn on the Repo again, Radius! Please? Just for 24 hours or something? I really want my RetroArch back… :’{

Okay I swear to the light above once I started to beg at Radius the icon just randomly popped up on my phone and it is launchable. I have no idea what happened… but it’s there. Thank you so much netux for the .deb file description and how to load it. (That method worked… some how, freakishly) and Jesradius.

Going to shove some ROMS into it now, as well as my old saves… hopefully it all works out or I’ll cry.

Edit: Works! :3

[QUOTE=Darnassus;20302]Okay I swear to the light above once I started to beg at Radius the icon just randomly popped up on my phone and it is launchable. I have no idea what happened… but it’s there. Thank you so much netux for the .deb file description and how to load it. (That method worked… some how, freakishly) and Jesradius.

Going to shove some ROMS into it now, as well as my old saves… hopefully it all works out or I’ll cry.

Edit: Works! :3[/QUOTE]

Finally!! Wow yes I know it is a bit complex to do all this stuff but well I hope someday we can have a stable version already packed for easy installation.

Enjoy!

Yep my phone’s soooo much happier now. I got worried when you said damaged Cydia since I use iLEX to restore.

An easy way to get that icon to appear for you is to install any random Cydia tweak. Then go back in and uninstall it and the icon pops up.