How do I properly setup which controllers to USE in retroarch?

I am trying to play N64 games with a PS4 controller. I remember that I once had the option to bind the controls for A/B C-UP, C-DOWN, etc… however, in the input menu now I only have the option to bind the standard controls for a PS4 controller. This would be fine except they dont seem to translate to N64 controls. Once I am in game the only thing that works is the joystick, none of the buttons. Any idea how to bind specifically N64 controls? Or maybe I am doing something else wrong? A box checked that shouldnt be? I don’t think so, I havent really tweaked anything aside from “Use Per core Confgs”

Thanks

In the settings > input menu, you are mapping the “retropad” virtual gamepad abstraction. It looks basically like a ps3/360 controller except the face buttons are named like an SNES controller (that is, B = down, Y = left, X = up and A = right). The default N64 mapping puts the C buttons onto the right analog stick (just like on Virtual Console). Z button is mapped to L2. Everything else is where you would expect it to be. (R2 is a weird alternate map that replaces the face buttons with c buttons but it’s just a hack to make touch control overlays work with the core on mobile)

The core input remapping (available from the in-game quick menu) lets you move some of the buttons around on the retropad (for example, you could move the Z trigger over to R2 instead of L2, or to A/circle) but it won’t let you move anything mapped to an analog to a regular button (an unfortunate limitation related to how analogs work in RA vs regular buttons).

[QUOTE=hunterk;37894]In the settings > input menu, you are mapping the “retropad” virtual gamepad abstraction. It looks basically like a ps3/360 controller except the face buttons are named like an SNES controller (that is, B = down, Y = left, X = up and A = right). The default N64 mapping puts the C buttons onto the right analog stick (just like on Virtual Console). Z button is mapped to L2. Everything else is where you would expect it to be. (R2 is a weird alternate map that replaces the face buttons with c buttons but it’s just a hack to make touch control overlays work with the core on mobile)

The core input remapping (available from the in-game quick menu) lets you move some of the buttons around on the retropad (for example, you could move the Z trigger over to R2 instead of L2, or to A/circle) but it won’t let you move anything mapped to an analog to a regular button (an unfortunate limitation related to how analogs work in RA vs regular buttons).[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to try another n64 rom, but the last game i played, tony hawk pro skater, it seemed as though the buttons didnt work once I was playing the game. I THINK they worked in the menus? I know the joystick works as far as controlling where my player is moving, but pressing any other buttons on the controller during gameplay appeared to do nothing. I did not, however, try the right joystick, but the fact that the A and B buttons don’t do anything is a little strange.