How do you add cores?

Is there a way to add cores to the Android official version without having to root my phone? I wanted to try the Yabause core (even if I know it’s still a WIP) but it isn’t in the main pack and I’d prefer to stick with the main one since Nightly builds doesn’t seem to work on my Galaxy S2.

Not without root access, no. It’s either that or nightly.

Asking in this thread because related to topic question.

In which folder do you add the cores?(I’ve got root already) I’m asking because I’m using the last buildbot nightly build and it doesn’t come with any cores but allows to download each separately, which is, in my opinion better, but the problem I have is that the cores that it shows to download are av7(or a7v, I forget the order) and the CPU in my android device is x86. So when I try to run any games with those cores, as expected, they don’t work. So I went to the nightly buildbot folder to download the appropriate x86 cores I want, downloaded them, but now I am unable to find the folder where retroarch keeps the cores in my android device.

And supposing I’ve rooted my phone, do you have a quick guide to add cores after that?

/data/data/com.retroarch/cores

Just drop your *.so dynamic libs in there and it should find them.

Thanks, I eventually managed to have it work. It runs reeeeeally slow and choppy though, even with such early 2D games as The Legend of Oasis, while PS1 games run perfectly fine… was Saturn THAT more powerful than PS1? edit: Tried 4DO core too, it runs slow but not as much as Yabause. Well, guess both are really still beta and experimental after all.

PCSX-ReARMed is a pretty bad metric to measure performance by, since it has a rockin’ dynarec and a sweet SIMD-optimized rendering engine. That said, Saturn is pretty poorly emulated, in general, as is 3DO, so they’re both pretty slow on desktop CPUs/GPUs, let alone mobile devices.

Yeah I see, I just tested Yabause on my poor Acer 4-year old netbook with the same games and I’m astonished to see nearly no change at all (it is even slightly smoother). I’m glad though to know the problem is not really hardware related; at least it leaves me with a glimpse of hope of being finally able to play some Saturn games on the go one day…

I want to add cores to the android nightly builds, but can’t seem to find the folder which contains the downloaded cores ( I have root)

In the nightlies you can add cores by going into core manager and downloading cores from there. No need to root or use a file manager

Yes I know, I think that is great. But where do these cores get downloaded to (location) becsue some cores are missing, so I’m wanting to manually add some cores to that folder. Can it be done?

Well, it’s just that the cores the manager points at are the armeabi-v7a instead of the x86 ones which I suppose should be the ones I should get considering my device uses an x86 CPU.(Razr i) Maybe they’re the same but the single core I tried didn’t seem to run. I didn’t try running any other cores tho, but that’s what happened to me.

Yes that functionality isn’t there (thus no official release) It’s downloading the wrong one for you

Tried this with the official Android release and they aren’t showing up. Yes, I am rooted…

[QUOTE=hunterk;17668]/data/data/com.retroarch/cores

Just drop your *.so dynamic libs in there and it should find them.[/QUOTE]

Tried this with the official Android release and they aren’t showing up. Yes, I am rooted.

Never mind figured it out. Had to enable root options with es file explorer.