How do you debug on retroarch?

is there a way to debug the activity so i can see what is going on with the core and so on…also notice info isnt set in newest retroarch either…

Yeah, the info thing was an oversight. To get error logs, run retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose from a command line and it will print things to the console window. Sometimes you need to run it through gdb to get info on more mysterious crashes.

whats gbd?

It’s a free, open-source debugger.

oh ok ill have to check it out funny thing is used to work on that pc

Anyone has an idea how to get debug traces using the OS X retroarch ?

I’m not sure, but I think you have to do it through XCode, which may mean compiling it yourself, first. You can probably get a build of gdb from somewhere, though, which you can probably use just like on any other *nix platform by attaching it to RetroArch through a terminal.

For Windows, you can install Dr. Mingw to have the option to collect debug information when a crash/segfault occurs. You can then save the debug information to a text file, which you can attach or copy/paste to your bug report.

Hi, I didn’t want to open a new thread for my question, but it is kind of related here.

For some reason that I don’t understand, the audio on Retroarch stopped working. I was playing a game and went to load hyperpause, but I closed it with ctr+alt+del because it was taking so long. After that when I came back, no audio.

I tried changing the drivers for the sound and nothing. Deleted some cfg files in the and the default cfg for the RA and still nothing…

Then I tried Retroarch_debug as a desperate measure and it worked!!! The audio was back.

Is there something I can do for this debug file to detect the issue or should I leave it as it is and use this debug file for my regular use?

There’s nothing wrong with using the debug executable, but you might want to just download a new nightly and replace your broken retroarch.exe with a new one to see if that helps for whatever reason.

I don’t know what would cause such behavior.

Yes, it is weird. I downloaded a new nightly from the download section and still was the same. I will stick with the debug file then and hope this one doesn’t break.

I could try a new clean installation but it I have a lot of things chained from Rocketlauncher to it, and I don’t fell like re do it again hehe.

Thanks for your reply

I have a very strange issue. Every time I try to run retroarch_debug.exe, it just stops working as soon as it opens.