How Exactly Does Remapping Controls Work Now?

In previous builds of the RetroArch I would be able to load a controller remap file on startup to overwrite default RetroArch controls. I used this primarily for NES, GB©, and GBA games, along with various edge-case games. This commit from February 21 appears to have changed how this concept works.

Can someone please explain how I’d now get specific controller bindings for specific games to load on startup without having to select extra files within RetroArch? I know that I can still load remap files after opening RetroArch, but I’d like to be able to change the controls via command line options before RetroArch opens.

I got it now: the remap files are now name-sensitive. I was just a bit confused with all of the various input and auto configuring options. It’s definitely more elegant this way since you don’t have to edit a config file to choose the desired mappings. Thanks anyways!

As long as all reasonable features are still intact, I think it’s fine to keep it how it is. Better to look ahead if you’ve got no reason to look back!

Oh wait. Here’s an important note I should add to this: I wasn’t actually able to edit the controls from the Core Input Options menu. The only one I could change was in the general Input menu, and doing that changes the global controls. The only way I was able to change them was by loading the old remap file and saving it in the new style.

With the current changes how would one set up a remap with multiple systems that use the same core? ie: Game Gear, Master System and Genesis using the genesis_plus_gx core.