How to auto load config file

is there a step by step on how to do this? on the default retroarch.cfg, i have Save Config on Exit set to Off, Config Per-Core and Load Override Files Automatically both set to On. on each individual core config, i only have Load Override File Automatically set to On. every time i load up a recent game, it switches the assigned core, but it never loads up the related config file. the default retroarch.cfg is always staying there. it’s so frustrating there’s no simple way to do this. please help. thanks!

Config Per-Core and Load Override Files Automatically are mutually exclusive. I’m not sure what they do if both are turned on, but that could be related to your issues. Use one or the other but don’t use both.

i’ve tried with Config-Per Core set to Off on both the default config profile and on all my core config profiles, with just Load Overrides Automatically set to On for all… still not working. how should the default retroarch.cfg be setup in comparison to individual core configs? i’m assuming the default retroarch.cfg should be the one set to just Load Overrides Automatically set to On, so that once i select a recent game… it will load up that game/core’s setting correct?

Your retroarch.cfg should have auto-loading of overrides enabled and per-core configs disabled. Only put into the overrides the few things you want to change, e.g., shader, button assignments, etc. The overrides should be placed in a subdirectory named for the core within your specified config directory. So, for nestopia, it would be something like $config/Nestopia/Nestopia.cfg. The naming and capitalization should match whatever the xmb/rgui menu shows in the bottom-left of the screen (i.e., it doesn’t show on the GLUI menu).

i’ve done everything you’ve noted, but it still won’t work. all i wanna do is pick a game from Load Recent and have the associated core config file i’ve previously set up to actually load up and show up next to Load Configuration automatically… but no… retroarch.cfg keeps reappearing every single time i restart. my default retroarch.cfg only has Load Override set to On, i made the subfolders for both the PSX and SNES cores configurations with the exact naming and spelling, redirected the directory to point to those subfolders… and still not working. i give up. i appreciate the hard work the devs put into this wonderful program, but man is it the most user un-friendly. thanks for your help anyway.

It always loads retroarch.cfg when you launch. That’s the default. It will never show your overrides in the ‘load configuration’ slot because overrides just override individual options from your retroarch.cfg. You don’t need to redirect any directories because the override subdirectories go inside your main config directory.

Your directory structure should look like this: retroarch directory *****config directory *****/*****retroarch.cfg <- has all of the defaults; if you load a game/core and there’s no override available, it uses this stuff *****/*****Snes9x/Snes9x.cfg <- has the special options for snes9x, such as a certain shader you like

I have figured out how to load individual configuration files for each core automatically. First you must create your core configs from the rgui(green core menu) with the save new config file option. This will then create the new config file inside the config file directory with the core name.cfg. Using winscp to ssh into your machines IP address on your network, you can navigate to ~/.config/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg. Open it to make the edits. Under each system you should see a line that has <command> tags, at the end of the line and inside the </command> tag, append -c [PATH TO CORE CONFIGFILE].

Example:

<system> <name>psx</name> <fullname>Playstation</fullname> <path>/storage/roms/psx</path> <extension>.cue .tok .m3u .ccd .exe .pbp</extension> <command>/usr/bin/retroarch.start -L /tmp/cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.so %ROM% -c /storage/.config/retroarch/config/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.cfg</command> <platform>psx</platform> </system>

Notice I have made the addition in bold. The ‘-c’ flag tells retroarch that we are using a different config file that default retroarch.cfg. The file ‘/storage/.config/retroarch/config/pcsx_rearmed_libretro.cfg’ was made earlier from the rgui. You can now open the /storage/.config/retroarch/config/ folder to find all your new config files you should have already created in order to get the path names to insert into the es_systems.cfg for each system you need to autoload a different config for. Make all of your edits and save.

Enjoy