How to change between controllers?

I have seen many topics about this but none have actually solved the problem. I would like to use my usb controllers for Nintendo 64 and Playstation. The rest of the systems I use my arcade controls. The problem is no matter what I try my arcade controls are always p1 and p2. I’ve tried to change device index both through the in game menu and with core override settings. No matter what the indexes are set to the controllers do not change. Can someone tell me the point of theses settings, because they do nothing… (“input_device_p1”, “input_player1_joypad_index”).

Please help because this is very annoying

input device should let you switch among your attached devices. Try going into settings > input > input user 1 binds and change the device index there to see if it changes anything.

If you have autoconfig profiles for your devices, whichever one you plug in last should be autoconfigured and set to p1. So, if you have arcade controls always attached and then you plug in your N64 pad, it should grab p1 and be autoconfigured for N64 until you unplug it, then it will revert back to whatever you have in your main config (i.e., the arcade controls).

thank you for the reply. Changing the device index does nothing. I have even tried setting the device index for every controller but no dice. I do have all controllers configured and like you said I only plug in the controllers when I want to use them. I will give more details let me switch to my other PC.

Ok sorry if this is a double post but my last post is taking a while to show up.

This is my joy index from retroarch,cfg input_player1_joypad_index = “0” input_player2_joypad_index = “1” input_player3_joypad_index = “2” input_player4_joypad_index = “3”

this is joy index from Mednafen PSX.cfg input_player1_joypad_index = “2” input_player2_joypad_index = “3” input_player3_joypad_index = “0” input_player4_joypad_index = “1”

Shouldn’t that work? I should add that I am on retroarch v1.4.0

Nothing works to get those controllers as p1 and p2. I just did a new install and set my usb controllers to p1 and p2 my arcade controls to p3 and p4. I launched a game and the display messages said my arcade was on port #0 and #1. That’s completely wrong. I went into the in game menu and it said usb was p1 but thats not right because my arcade sticks are controlling the game. And the control config does not match what i entered in the menu. WTF

Ok so I got the controllers to be first when plugged in. It goes completely by windows port index. If the controllers are in a higher port number they will never act as p1 and p2.

So now that I’ve solved that when I load a game with usb not plugged in RetroArch recognizes my arcade controls but loads the usb autoconfig. Do I need to create core overrides for all cores I wish to use my arcade controls?

Does it say “controller $whatever configured”?

You shouldn’t need to use overrides for it, but if that’s what works…

Ok this was frustrating and confusing but I did manage to figure it out. Kind of.

1. Create an autoconfig file for ONLY the usb controllers
  2. Inside the global Input menu I mapped my arcade controls to p1 and p2.
  3. Left all input for other players blank

Now my usb controllers take over as p1 and p2 when they are plugged in. Thank you for the assistance

eyyy, glad you got it going! :slight_smile:

If I got rid of my autoconfig files and mapped all inputs using the global method would that make it possible to use “input_playerX_joypad_index” in the Input menu? I would like to be able to switch through my controllers at any time. Say my crybaby friend (p2), who sucks at fighting games, wants to use the controller instead of the arcade controls. With the above scenario would i be able to enter the menu and set p2 index to the usb i have configured to p3?