How to compile with Metal 2 support?

I have successfully compiled RetroArch from the Terminal but it appears to default to using GL graphics and GLSL shaders. There are no options available to switch to Metal 2 and slang shaders. Are there any special parameters I need to add to the standard build instructions using the Terminal commands? I also downloaded a nightly build but these also seem to be GL only.

Hmm, did you try adding --enable-metal to your ./configure step?

Thanks ā€¦ while I can get ā€œ./configureā€ and ā€œmakeā€ to produce a binary, it appears to be the GL version. If I append ā€œā€“enable-metalā€ a bunch of errors (mentioning shaders and video) are produced at the end of the make process and it fails without producing anything.

Also, the only instructions I can find anywhere online for macOS specify using Xcode commands in the terminal, and there is no mention of using /.configure or any other guidance on additional conf or make options.

Does anyone know of more detailed instructions or guides floating around?

is there a reason you need to use the command line? If itā€™s just because thatā€™s what youā€™ve seen in guides, Iā€™m pretty sure you can just open the appropriate xcodeproj in pkg/apple (IIRC) and hit the ā€˜buildā€™ button.

Actually, I had just been following the instructions in the libretro docs and assumed this was the best way to do it. I am not particularly wedded to using the command line when there are easier options.

After digging around in the sub-folders, I located the various Xcode project files, one of which is the Metal build, and that worked. Xcode is a huge install for most users, but it certainly makes things easier.

1 Like