How to configure shaders on Android

I had some trouble configuring shaders on the android port and couldn’t find much info by searching for the issue, so I had to get some help on IRC. Here is how I was able to custom configure my shaders on Android.

First thing to note is that you can’t manipulate the shaders in the GUI with the touch interface. You would need to go into the overlay settings and enable an overlay in the menu. This is so that you can adjust the shader settings with the Left/Right d-pad in the GUI.

Some shaders that work for me on PC won’t load on Android. For example, I was trying to get lcdgrid-v2-gbacolor.glslp to run with mGBA core. When I loaded the preset Retroarch wouldn’t respond. What I needed to do was to look at the glslp preset and see what shaders it was loading. I saw that it was loading two shaders, first gbacolor.glsl and second lcdgrid-v2.glsl. What I then did was manually add two shader passes and selected those shaders manually. Then the shaders were able to load and work fine. Unfortunately the lcdgrid-v2 didn’t look great on my phone, so I used the old lcdgrid.glsl and it looked fine.

How to get shaders to work on retroarch for android, glsl shaders android, android presets not working

I started with Retroach for Android yesterday. I just use Genesis Plus GX for the moment, and I’m unable to save a CRT shader. I get an error when I try to save it.

I also have another problems I’ll report on other threads (I’m a newbie and apparently I can’t open new threads yet). I’m aware the Genesis Plus GX is the best Genesis emulator for Android, but Retroarch interface makes it difficult to enjoy it.

Go to settings > directory and change your shader directory to somewhere on your internal storage (a directory in storage/RetroArch is a good choice) and then go to the online updater and re-download the GLSL shaders (they’ll go into the new location). Once they’re in the new spot, you should be able to save them (I think).

I’m afraid it didn’t work :frowning: Seems the problem is with saving the core preset. I can “Save Shader Preset As” with no problem, but I have to load it everytime.

Oh, gotcha, yeah, my instructions were for saving the presets themselves. If you want to save a core preset, I think the default config directory is already set to storage/RetroArch/something, but go to settings > directory and make sure. Other than that, I’m not sure what could be going on, as I don’t use the Android port very often (except on my Shield ATV, but that’s a little different from most phones/tablets).

No probs, I got it working. I uninstalled and reinstalled Retroach and set xmb Menu Driver. I guess the latter has nothing to do, but I can save shader presets now.

I’m really close to having the emulator working as expected :slight_smile: Now I have to try disabling the overlay and seeing if pressing Select+Start (as I set in the config) brings up Retroarch menu, so I can save and load states.

This is getting a nice shape! Thanks for all your help, hunterk.

1 Like