How to configure x-arcade to play games

No it’s off Config per core is off

When arch firsts loads, The “load configuration” is retroarch.cfg.

This is always the part that confuses me. Why would the settings (controls/hotkeys) that I’m looking at which are what they should be, only be applying to one system

I have tried to set my custom xarcade keys/joystick for user 1 in RA settings, but it just doesn’t work at all in game. i can’t seem to figure it out. i tried unplugging my xbox 360 but it just doesn’t help. this seems a lot harder than any other emulator as i have not had any difficulty in other emulators doing this. can RA not work like OpenEmu? In OpenEmu it will auto configure my xbox controllers but i can easily set keyboard or xarcade mappings in openemu’s emulator’s controller setting. i can leave them both plugged in and i am able to use either keyboard controls OR xbox 360 without even having to make any changes or switching. i don’t have to unplug anything.

i am still open to help if some thinks they can guide me to being able to use my xarcade dual joystick in my RA cores as well as my xbox 360s even if i have to unplug my xbox 360s for the xarcade to work. i wonder if it would be easiest to get the relevant retroarch.cfg file sections from someone that has this setup working so i can replace my sections and then just alter the button mappings to match my own xarcade mapping? i really want to get this working. thanks.

my current xarcade dual joystick is setup like the attachment shows.

i am trying to map my left joystick for player1 (keypad2, keypad4,kepad8,keypad6) but for the life of me couldn’t get it to work using the all binds option. i found it works finally if i replace what RA put in the config file keypad2, keypad4,kepad8,keypad6 to values that are just up down left right. oh man that was killing me.

now the buttons are doing unexpected things even though i disabled all the hotkey mappings. back to the drawing board…

so, it appear that setting the keyboard mappings in the main settings without a core loaded do not carry into the game cores. when running a game, the controls didn’t work so i used my keyboard assuming the original settings might be in place and they were. so, do we have to make these keyboard settings inside every single core? or did i miss something in the main settings to make them carry down to cores?

making progress! i had a setting for per core configs and it was set to ON. i turned it off and now my mappings for xarcade user1 work! finally!

well i got 2 player working on the xarcade, but now when i plug my xbox 360 back in, the daps doesn’t work and the buttons aren’t mapped right anymore. i tried unplugging and plugging xbox360 a few times but no change. i assume this may be because RA never automatically configured my usb xbox 360 controller right and i had to do it manually. i have the auto config files, but i don’t know why it can’t configure my controller automatically. in any case, now i can’t use my xbox 360 controller. i’ll probably have to bind all every single time i flip from xarcade to xbox 360 =( do you know how to fix this?

guess i will try backing up the input_controller cfg files for my xbox 360 controllers and editing them with correct mappings… =(

the input controller files actually look right. so i think they are not being used. is there a setting in RA that tells it not to use autoconfig controller settings?

well, i went ahead and did rebind all on my xbox 360 controllers and got the result i REALLY wanted which is to be able to use either xarcade OR xbox360 controllers any time in any game without having to unplug or switch and settings. now i can use a mixture of say player1 on xobx360 and player2 on xarcade or i can use both xbox 360s or i can use both xarcade. that was something i have not read is possible in RA but it is indeed working and what I really wanted hope it doesn’t stop working.

switched from SNES to n64 and xarcade totally stopped working even if no xbox controllers are plugged in. giving up for now… haha

You never answered : are you on linux ?

Oh sorry. No, I’m on Win 10 Pro 64bit.

it is actually working fine! i forgot that i changed n64 to a stand alone emulator. so my xarcade AND xbox 360s do seem to be working concurrently now in my RA cores which is just awesome. don’t know why my xbox360s never got autoconfigured initially , but at least things seem to be working like i want now.

Ok, because you could have used https://github.com/petrockblog/Xarcade2Jstick to transform your x-arcade from a keyboard to 2 joysticks, perhaps there is something similar on windows.

Wow, that’s pretty cool. Wish they had this for Windows too. But anyway, I guess I don’t need it because I got my xarcade setup ok as a keyboard for 2 players and the added bonus that I can leave my xbox360s plugged in too and just use either one. That is really what I wanted.

ckp would you mind sharing your configuration? also I am just starting this process what do you recommend I do first?

grulug, i turned off a bunch of keys in my retroarch config file, so you might not want to use mine as-is, but i can post the file if you want anyway.