How to configure x-arcade to play games

Hi, I am currently using usb xbox 360 controllers and they work fine. I would love to be able to play with either my xbox 360 controllers OR my x-arcade dual joystick (also plugged in with usb cable). Is there some easy way to just set 2 players using my x-arcade dual joystick for the times I want 1 or 2 players to use the x-arcade instead of xbox 360 controllers? I have searched and searched but didn’t really find this, even in the threads that sort of talk about it. Is it possible? Would I just go somewhere in the global RA gui and assign keys by using the x-arcade joystick and buttons? Thanks.

Since it identifies itself as a keyboard with MAME’s default mapping, you can have it hooked up all the time and have the P1 and P2 keys mapped to it and then, when you want to use the 360 controllers, just plug them in and they’ll supersede the keyboard as P1 and P2 and be autoconfigured.

Thank you @hunterk, but can you tell me where to map my x-arcade as keys? Somewhere in RA global no core loaded setting or somewhere in each core’s quickmenu? Also, is this going to change navigation in the RA gui or just for the games and cores?

You would map it through settings > input > p1 input binds / p2 input binds. If the 360 controllers aren’t present, it should automatically listen for keyboard input.

However, as with I/J-PAC encoders, the MAME defaults conflict with some of RetroArch’s default hotkey assignments, so you’ll need to either remap the hotkeys first through settings > input > hotkey binds or change the offending key assignments to “nul” in your retroarch.cfg.

I’ve tried this as I have a tankstick. The 360 didn’t take the controls over.

Do you set the controls as player 1/2 bind all? Because I did that before and the 360 didn’t take over the controls unfort. I was also under the understanding they did that as well.

Hmm, they should. Do you have autoconfiguration turned on? That’s what grabs the 360 pads and makes them take over.

Where is that option? I’m using a retroarch already setup for a lot of emulators for a drop in Hyoerspin setup.

Just found it It is enabled, so with this new build (although scared to try it)

I’m going to do the xarcade bonds for 1&2 and see if the 360 takes over. Fingers crossed!

Ok great it works Except one big problem, as soon as p2 controls are activated, I got to test them in any game, And as soon as its p2 turn or if playing p1 and p2 at same time,

The screen goes from windowed to full screen to windowed to full screen and doesn’t stop.

P1 on its own is fine, but the addition of p2 binds causes a shit show. Any ideas?

I made a video so you can see it in action

Got er figured out boys for me at least, was a hotkey for the tankstick defaulted to the “toggle fullscreen” in retroarch. Once that changed… All good for me.

Did the OP get his situation figured out??

ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}=“1” in udev wouldn’t work with x-arcade ? Or perhaps you are not using linux ? Your screen go from windowed to full screen to windowed to full screen and doesn’t stop probably because some button is mapped to “F” ?

Before I attempt to make these p1/p2 bind changes, can you tell me which file or files I would need to backup in case I want to restore the settings back to how they were before I attempt to change them? Is it just a copy of retroarch.cfg ?

Yeah, retroarch.cfg should be all you need to backup.

hmm, didn’t work at all for me. kind of a nightmare to set this up. restoring cfg file…

looking at the retroarch.cfg file it appears some of my x-arcade assignments are also assigned elsewhere in RA. ugh.

Very weird After I fixed the problem it’s doing it again, checked the hotkeys it’s set to where i set it to.

Also, my control binds I set are only activating on one system, and I have 10 using retroarch.

Any ideas what’s happening??

If they’re only activating on one system, you probably set them up with that system loaded along with pre-core configs or with a saved override.

What’s the best way to figure that out? I didn’t load a core, I just opened retroarch and made the changes.it took effect on nes. I thought it saved your config as retroarch.config and saved those settings for each core?

Yes, that’s how it usually works. If you go into settings > config, do you have per-core configs enabled? If so, it can make weird stuff happen, which is why it’s removed in the latest nightlies.