How to create custom overlay gamepads

Hi there. Id like to create a psx overlay, without the keyboard button, and with the fast forward button. Is there a tutorial for it? Preferably done by modifying the one that comes with Retroarch.

If you just want to modify an existing one, you open the cfg file for the one you want to edit and then, if you want to get rid of the keyboard button, you can search for osk_toggle, which will give you lines like this:

overlay0_desc28 = "osk_toggle,0.5,0.94,rect,0.04375,0.052"
overlay0_desc28_overlay = osk-toggle.png

change ‘osk_toggle’ to ‘toggle_fast_forward’ and replace osk-toggle.png with the filename for whatever image you want to use instead.

Rinse and repeat for each instance of ‘osk_toggle’.

Sorry, hunterk. I got confused with the other post. What I meant was that I’d like to add the fast forward button to the psx gamepad, just that, because the psx gamepad doesn’t have it.

Ok, that’s a little harder, but not by much.

Most overlays have a few sections that represent different configurations, so if you want the FF button to appear in all of the configurations, you’ll have to do these steps for each one. If you only care about, for example, landscape orientation (usually overlay0), you can just do it there and not worry about the others.

Buttons in overlays are usually made up of 2 lines (e.g., the 2 lines I copy/pasted above). The first line describes the function, location, shape and size of the button, respectively, and the second line is the image that gets displayed in that location.

The easiest way to do what you want is to duplicate a button that’s roughly the size you want by copy/pasting those two lines at the end of that layout’s section. You’ll also need to increment the number of descriptors (or “descs”) in that layout section, which is the line that says “overlay*_descs = whatever”. At this point, RetroArch should start recognizing the additional button, but it’s going to be sitting exactly on top of the original button. It’s a good time to test and make sure you didn’t screw anything up (that is, make sure the overlay still loads properly).

Next, you’ll need to scooch your new, duplicated button over to its new location by adjusting the first 2 numbers. These are normalized coordinates (that is, the values are between 0,0 and 1,1, which represent the bottom-left and upper-right corners of the screen, respectively) and the button will be centered on those coordinates. It’ll probably take some trial and error to get the button in the right spot.

Once the duplicated button appears where you want it, just do the steps I outlined in my previous post. That is, change the function to ‘toggle_fast_forward’ and change the *_overlay to point to your new button’s picture.

That’s it!

Great! I’ll try it and tell you how it went. Thanks a lot hunterk!!!