How to disable RA input binds in DosBox

Hello,

I’m really frustrated that DosBix doesn’t have any option to disable RA hotkeys. With this feature enabled using DosBox turns into nightmare. You can’t type without activating some features. You can’t even hit ESC as it drops you from RA immediately.

Is there a way to use keyboard in DosBox in traditional way?

There are a couple of ways, actually. Historically, the easiest way is to map the “hotkey enable” hotkey, which makes RetroArch stop listening for hotkeys unless it is pressed.

Recently, though, someone submitted an option to enable “game focus mode”, which makes all of the input route directly to the core. This can be useful for classic computer cores and also for MAME and ScummVM. You can find it in settings > Input > input hotkey binds > game focus toggle.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately that toggle mode doesn’t turn off if I hit “Scroll lock” again. If I enable “game focus mode” there is no way to disable it. It least in DosBox.

My method was just to change the hotkeys when using DosBox and save it as a core override.

Just “nul” the hotkeys you don’t want, and change the ones you want to keep so they don’t conflict with anything.

I really only play Doom/Wolfenstein so far in DosBox, but here’s what mine ended up looking like for reference:

menu_unified_controls = “false” input_max_users = “1” input_hold_fast_forward = “nul” input_load_state = “nul” input_save_state = “nul” input_toggle_fullscreen = “nul” input_exit_emulator = “p” input_rewind = “nul” input_reset = “nul” input_screenshot = “nul” input_menu_toggle = “tilde”

(Obviously exit as “P” isn’t ideal, it’s just what I landed on because my use of Xpadder makes my hotkey to quit ESC+P)

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.