How to have Mono audio?

Hi, I prefer some games with mono audio but I don’t see an option anywhere for it? I googled it but the only thing I found was someone saying to use the “Panning” audio dsp plugin. Well, that thing doesn’t work for me. There is no difference if I use it or not. Is it possible in any other way?

You have to modify the panning dsp just a bit. Open it with a text editor and it’ll look like this:

filters = 1
filter0 = panning

# Gains are linear.

# The default. Left and right channels map to each other.
panning_left_mix = "1.0 0.0"
panning_right_mix = "0.0 1.0"

# Some examples:
#
# Mono:
# panning_left_mix = "0.5 0.5"
# panning_right_mix = "0.5 0.5"

You need to comment (add a # in front of) the panning_left_mix = “1.0 0.0” and panning_right_mix = “0.0 1.0” lines and uncomment (remove the #) in front of the panning_left_mix = “0.5 0.5” and panning_right_mix = “0.5 0.5” lines. That should get you mono sound.

[QUOTE=hunterk;53770]You have to modify the panning dsp just a bit. Open it with a text editor and it’ll look like this:

filters = 1
filter0 = panning

# Gains are linear.

# The default. Left and right channels map to each other.
panning_left_mix = "1.0 0.0"
panning_right_mix = "0.0 1.0"

# Some examples:
#
# Mono:
# panning_left_mix = "0.5 0.5"
# panning_right_mix = "0.5 0.5"

You need to comment (add a # in front of) the panning_left_mix = “1.0 0.0” and panning_right_mix = “0.0 1.0” lines and uncomment (remove the #) in front of the panning_left_mix = “0.5 0.5” and panning_right_mix = “0.5 0.5” lines. That should get you mono sound.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that worked :slight_smile:

Sweet :slight_smile:

I think I’ll put in a pull request for a pre-made mono dsp, since that should be something people can get to without jumping through any hoops, IMO.

[QUOTE=hunterk;53807]Sweet :slight_smile:

I think I’ll put in a pull request for a pre-made mono dsp, since that should be something people can get to without jumping through any hoops, IMO.[/QUOTE]

For what it’s worth, I will definitely use the new mono dsp if you add it.

It just got merged, so it should show up in the next round of nightlies. Let me know if it gives you any strange behavior.

1 Like

Nice! Thank you

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

So there’s now an option for “Mono” in the retroarch gui?

Not exactly. In settings > audio, in the audio DSPs, there’s one called ‘mono’ and if you choose it, RetroArch will output in mono.

1 Like

Awesome I’ll have to try this out.

I didn’t experience Stereo sound in video games until 2008 lol.