How to improve audio/video quality for Playstation games?

Hi, have been searching for solution on this and other forums however no luck yet. The problem is that the Playstation 1 game has cracking audio and video looks a little slow.

I first used the Beetle HW core, while trying different option, but no change. Than I used the Beetle core which showed to improve the quality, but still not playable.

I have no idea what to start changing to fix the problem.

I included the spec summary from retroarch which might help.

Hope some one knows the solution.

Thanks

RetroArch      Frames 47104RetroArch      Frames 48896RetroArch      Frames 48128

RetroArch      Frames 49664RetroArch      Frames 50176

What kind of CPU do you have? Beetle-PSX is a very demanding core, CPU-wise, so if your CPU is weaker than about a Core2Duo, you’re not likely to get full speed with it.

hi @hunterk thanks for the response.

its a Athlon Dual Core Processor 4450e 2.30 GHz and a GeForce 9200

What I just cant understand is how a 20 year old game and platform as the PS cant play easily on modern day hardware. Their is no comparison between the PS hardware than and now. So how is it that software engineers are able to create such demanding cores? Am I missing anything? :slight_smile:

Hope we can get the PS game to play well on this computer. Any other cores that can be used?

Yeah, that CPU just doesn’t have the single-threaded grunt for it, unfortunately.

The 2 main reasons Beetle-PSX is so much heavier than, say, ePSXe, are:

• no dynarec

• very high accuracy

Dynarecs translate the native MIPS processor functions to run native x86 functions instead, which is much faster (but often less accurate) than the interpreter strategy used in Beetle-PSX.

that is gr*p.

thanks for checking.

will you be able to advies me how to setup ePSXe as i tried, but for some reason it wont work. i really like to get this game to work. :grinning:

could you point me to the correct additional files to download?

thanks in advance

⁣Send from mobile device​

Hmm, unfortunately, I don’t use ePSXe and don’t know what it requires, though I would assume the BIOS files you used for Beetle-PSX should work for it, too. Other than that, I think it should work with default plugins.

no worries, i will keep searching.

ps. if i would decide to buy a new pc for playing rom games including Playstation 3 and 4 (not sure if possible) what would be a good option? any ideas?

⁣Send from mobile device​

There are no working PS4 emulators available that can launch commercial games. RPCS3 runs quite a few commercial PS3 games but many have noticeable bugs and/or don’t reach full speed, even on top-of-the-line PCs.

In general, though, for emulation, you want the highest-clocked CPU you can find with good single-threaded performance. RPCS3 is one of the few emulators that benefits significantly from multithreading.

Thanks. and what about the GPU?

By the way got the game to work by using ePSXe 1.9.25 instead of the latest version. I only need to figure out other small issues. :slight_smile:

GPU isn’t that important with older emulators and mostly just sits idle except for shaders. On newer emulators like RPCS3, you at least want Vulkan support but the bigger/faster the better, of course.

Thanks for the additional tips. :slight_smile: