How to load and save configuration?

Hello everyone, I went through configureing retroarch 2times now. The emulator tells me it saves my configuration, in a defualt file, but I have no way of loading it back after that.

As this is an emulator for different cores, I would understand that as I would have differen settings for different cores, jet I have no way of setting a filename for my configuration file.

The default save file, even when I load it manually always contains the standard settings, and not the settings I stated, including things like the used core file or my input and grafics configuration.

Is there a guide or a documentation? Having to set up EVERYTHING through the horrid Playstation interface every time on startup makes this unuseable.

Best regards.

Docs are here:

The way RetroArch works is that you have a config file called retroarch.cfg and it gets loaded on launch no matter what. Then, when you have a core/content loaded, you can create config “overrides” which apply changes on top of those settings in the retroarch.cfg, and you can create them on a per-core or per-game basis and they will be loaded automatically when that core or game is loaded.

For inputs, we use an abstraction called the “retropad,” which looks basically like a modern SNES controller (that is, the face buttons are laid out like an SNES controller but there are dual-analogs and 4 shoulder buttons). You map the retropad’s buttons to your physical buttons (or keys) and then most cores will “just work” with no further configuration. If you don’t like a core’s default layout–which is usually based on the original console’s physical layout–you can move the core’s buttons around on the retropad via the ‘controls’ submenu of the quick menu. You can then save these “remap” files on a per-core or per-game basis, just like the overrides.

Most gamepads don’t need any configuration by end-users because we have a ton of profiles that users have submitted. If your pad is not covered, though, you can map it through settings > input and then use ‘save autoconfig profile’ to make it apply those mappings on every launch.

If you want/need to hardcode any settings at the config level, it is possible to launch RetroArch with entirely different config files via command line, using the -c /path/to/config switch (this can be handy for pairing RetroArch with a launcher like Hyperspin/Launchbox).