How to "lock" multiple USB controllers in WIndows 10?

I have a very hard time with USB and Windows 10.

I was trying to setup the controls on a cabinet, using 2 USB arcade sticks, 1 for each player. So i get in the “Input” options and set a different device for each player and setup the controls.

The results was a mess. Sometimes the controls were fine for one player but messed up for the other. Other times you could control both users with 1 stick. Other times it was fine for both. It was completely random. There was no way for RetroArch (or Windows) to remember which one is which.

Then i thought of something i read a long time ago about Windows 10, that you need to connect the different devices to different USB motherboard controllers, not just USB ports. Because if multiple ports are in the same controller, Windows 10 will never be able to see which one is which. Why? Because Microsoft sucks, that’s why.

Lo and behold, i connected one of the devices to the USB ports at the top of the motherboard, away from the other and Windows could finally differentiate the devices, fixing the issue.

But now i need to connect a couple of Gamepads as well ,for the systems that have more buttons and analog sticks (N64, Dreamcast, etc). But it appears the mobo only has 2 USB controllers (for 6 port in total). If i make the mistake to connect the gamepad to any free USB port, everything collapses like a house of cards.

I can probably fix this by getting a PCI card that adds USB ports. I might need 2 of them actually. But my question is, how do people cope with this issue? I’m sure a lot are using Windows 10 so i’m sure this bug must apply to everyone who does? Or it’s not a bug that exists and it’s just me? Pretty sure i have seen this happen in other Windows 10 builds but didn’t remember the USB/mobo controllers trick to fix it.

1 Like