How to obtain a log after RetroArch shuts down without crashing

So here’s the problem: MAME 2015 shuts down when I attempt to run certain games through it. As in it doesn’t even have the decency to crash and leave an error message to give me enough time to look at the log and see what the actual error is at all. So I’m wondering how I go about obtaining a log that I can read after RetroArch has shut down.

If you launch from a command line with --verbose, it will print everything to the console window and you can scroll back up to see what occurred, whether it crashes or not.

For some reason, that doesn’t work at all. If I launch RetroArch from a command line simply with “retroarch --verbose”, it doesn’t open properly, instead having a separate command line window open for a split second and then vanish. But if I launch it with “retroarch --verbose --menu” or “retroarch --verbose -L “path/to/core/directory/core.dll” “path/to/game/director/game.zip””, it does open properly, but still with a separate command window containing the log that vanishes when RetroArch shuts down, with the original command line window having nothing to do with any of it.

Hmm. I don’t get the second command window here. Everything happens in the one I launched from. How are you spawning the terminal? I assume shift-right-clicking in the retroarch folder window and choosing ‘open command window here’?

Ya, that’s how I was doing it, but after I made that last post, I remembered that RetroArch was set to open as administrator and that the command window I was using wasn’t and figured that must’ve been the problem, so I went and opened an administrator command line and ran “retroarch --verbose --menu” that way, and I finally got it to work properly.

Once I was finally able to look at the actual log, it turned out the problem, at least with the game that I tested out, was that the archive was missing a critical file, which I then proceeded to add, at which point the game started up just fine.

I think adding log_verbosity = “true” to your retroarch.cfg acts the same as using the --verbose switch, but lets you launch RetroArch normally.

log crach reicast.txt (15.2 KB)Hi,

My retroarch still crach when i launch dreamcast rom with reicast. (lat version of retroarch and reicast, good directory bios : systems\dc) i think :slight_smile: if someone have a minute to look on the log it will be very appreciate… thanks guys…

Hi Breva, do you have an nvidia GPU, by chance? I think Reicast is having problems with nvidia at the moment.

Hi hunterk, thanks to answer.

I have intel HD Graphics 4600.

Hi, I have also been having some problems with a couple games, and at least now I know how to dump a log file. Thanks for the information. I took a look through the log, and see only warnings, not errors. The log is here http://pastebin.com/jCvPE58u

Running the debug version of retroarch did dump more information to the console, but I’m not sure how to interpret it: Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AVX AES Built: Jul 17 2016 RetroArch [INFO] :: Redirecting save file to “C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\saves\dkongjr.srm”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Redirecting savestate to “C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\states\dkongjr.state”. RetroArch [INFO] :: === Build ======================================= Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AVX AES Built: Jul 17 2016 RetroArch [INFO] :: Version: 1.3.6 RetroArch [INFO] :: Git: 218d6f5 RetroArch [INFO] :: ================================================= RetroArch [INFO] :: Config: loading core-specific config from: C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\config\mame_libretro.dll.cfg. SOURCE FILE: …/…/…/…/…/src/mame/drivers/dkong.cpp PARENT: 0 NAME: dkongjr DESCRIPTION: Donkey Kong Junior (US set F-2) YEAR: 1982 MANUFACTURER: Nintendo of America Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\retroarch_debug.exe File: …/…/…/…/…/src/devices/machine/latch8.cpp, Line 52

Expression: offset == 0

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

I even found latch8.cpp on github and can see the assert that is failing, but don’t know how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.

[QUOTE=RobHHH;52558]Hi, I have also been having some problems with a couple games, and at least now I know how to dump a log file. Thanks for the information. I took a look through the log, and see only warnings, not errors. The log is here http://pastebin.com/jCvPE58u

Running the debug version of retroarch did dump more information to the console, but I’m not sure how to interpret it: Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AVX AES Built: Jul 17 2016 RetroArch [INFO] :: Redirecting save file to “C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\saves\dkongjr.srm”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Redirecting savestate to “C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\states\dkongjr.state”. RetroArch [INFO] :: === Build ======================================= Capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4 SSE4.2 AVX AES Built: Jul 17 2016 RetroArch [INFO] :: Version: 1.3.6 RetroArch [INFO] :: Git: 218d6f5 RetroArch [INFO] :: ================================================= RetroArch [INFO] :: Config: loading core-specific config from: C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\config\mame_libretro.dll.cfg. SOURCE FILE: …/…/…/…/…/src/mame/drivers/dkong.cpp PARENT: 0 NAME: dkongjr DESCRIPTION: Donkey Kong Junior (US set F-2) YEAR: 1982 MANUFACTURER: Nintendo of America Value not supported for option netdevprovider - falling back to auto Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Emulators\RetroArch_64\retroarch_debug.exe File: …/…/…/…/…/src/devices/machine/latch8.cpp, Line 52

Expression: offset == 0

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

I even found latch8.cpp on github and can see the assert that is failing, but don’t know how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

use latest nightly release

I am seeing this with the latest release, but this seems to be a known issue with the latest MAME core. Discussed in this thread, https://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6315

On windows, I can resolve the issue by using the MAME(2014) core, but that core isn’t available for Android. Even if I could get the 2014 core for Android, my device isn’t rooted, so I don’t think I could install the core by itself, correct? I think I would need it to be available in the core updater.

Hi, how to get the logs on mac os x ?

You have to use a terminal to navigate into the app bundle and launch the executable from inside with --verbose and it will print the output to the terminal window.

thanks a lot for the info…