How to play disc games in Dosbox-pure?

It’s my first time ever with Dos games on Retroarch, so I’m a total noob at this. I learned that Dosbox-pure is the best option as it supports zip files and save states among other things, so I downloaded that core.

Now I have this game called “Batman Forever” with cue/bin files inside a zip. The game fails to run though. Do I need to install it or something? And how?

There’s nothing else besides the cue/iso?

Then that’s just the disc. So you will have to install it, normally. There are, however, pre-installed zip archives you can use, such as the eXoDOS project. These have a higher chance of working directly from the zip file, without installation. Some will still not load but it’s usually easy to fix them.

I honestly have no idea. This is my first time trying a DOS game in Retroarch. Was there supposed to be something else besides the cue/iso?

Is there a way I can make and use a pre-installed zip with Dosbox-pure?

Update: I have just found one on Wowroms which has this structure:

This version seems to run fine in Dosbox Game Launcher but again not in Retroarch (Dosbox-pure). In Retroarch it always opens up SVTEST32.exe for some reason.

Keep the whole folder zipped and open the zip file with DosBOX Pure. It should open a menu with some options to run, select batman.exe from that menu.

Coincidentally, yesterday I was testing this game on Arcade Kronos ST-V.

It is correct, the CUE+BIN is compressed and the zip is loaded directly. CD games require installation, games and achievements are saved on the Hard Disk. I recently made an Installation video, it is not the same case but it serves as a reference.

Contrary to what Exodos enthusiasts say, it is not recommended to use pre-compiled packages. They give more problems than solutions.

Two things before starting.

• The game supports GUS “Gravis Ultrasound” and has the files embedded, fully recommended, just activate in the core menu and reboot.

• The Redump disk is CUE+BIN multiples, DOSBox does not support BIN multiples, you have to convert it to BIN single. The only way I know of is with chdman.
    First it is converted to chd:
    chdman createcd -i 'Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA).cue' -o 'Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA).chd'
    Delete CUE+BINs and extracts the chd:
    chdman extractcd -i 'Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA).chd' -o 'Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA).cue'
    You can now delete the chd and compress the CUE+BIN in a zip file.

The installation is very intuitive, I will explain it step by step.

When you load the zip with PURE, this screen appears. Start the installation from INSTALL.BAT.
Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA)-231130-032230
Activate “Game Focus On” with the ScrLk key (Scroll Lock) to activate the original DOS keyboard.

In Destination Drive Letter press C and then Enter to accept the default path.

Select MAXIMUM in installation type (to have music), press Enter to accept and press Y to start the installation.

Once the installation is finished, press A to continue and select Exit to leave the menu.

Immediately the sound configuration appears, press Enter to configure, if you activated GUS it appears preselected. It only remains to accept and exit to the menu by selecting Done.

Now you can start the game from BATMAN.COM, in C:
Batman Forever - The Arcade Game (USA)-231201-004142
If you press once to the right, you activate the automatic start.

It only remains to load a shader of your preference and enjoy.

This game is a direct console port, but it runs very fast and looks very sharp in DOS.