How to program a Nintendo 64 controller to play Nintendo 64 games on the emulator?

When I start a N64 game in Retroarch through Launchbox, I press F1, go to options, go to input, and go to player 1. Then I press ‘bind player 1’. With a Nintendo 64 controller what buttons do I press in order to program a working Nintendo 64 controller?

It’s not as easy as I would like. If you’re going to be using any other cores, go ahead and get your retropad mappings set up properly. Then, you’re going to need to do a config override for the N64 core that maps the retropad inputs differently.

The default mappings are similar to the Wii Classic Controller mapping for Virtual Consoles games, with the C-buttons on the right analog stick and Z-button on L2. Everything else is where you would expect (that is, L-button is L1, R-button is R1, B is retropad-Y, A is retropad-B). R2 does a weird button shuffle thing (it’s a hack we had to add to make the N64 core work with the touchscreen overlay system; you don’t really need to know the details), so don’t map it to anything.

Put that into your N64 config override and it will switch the buttons around whenever you load an N64 game.

[QUOTE=hunterk;40583]It’s not as easy as I would like. If you’re going to be using any other cores, go ahead and get your retropad mappings set up properly. Then, you’re going to need to do a config override for the N64 core that maps the retropad inputs differently.

The default mappings are similar to the Wii Classic Controller mapping for Virtual Consoles games, with the C-buttons on the right analog stick and Z-button on L2. Everything else is where you would expect (that is, L-button is L1, R-button is R1, B is retropad-Y, A is retropad-B). R2 does a weird button shuffle thing (it’s a hack we had to add to make the N64 core work with the touchscreen overlay system; you don’t really need to know the details), so don’t map it to anything.

Put that into your N64 config override and it will switch the buttons around whenever you load an N64 game.[/QUOTE]

I was able to set up all the buttons, but I can’t get the Z trigger to work. I know that it does work, I used it with another game. I tried setting the Z trigger individually to L2, and I tried setting it to R2 as well, but L2 wouldn’t come up unless I set controls a control for L2. There is a control in the options labeled “Z trigger”, and it registers the Z trigger as being pressed, but in the game (Super Mario 64) the Z trigger does nothing. What can I do to fix this?

Okay, just from a quick test, I set the R button to the Z trigger and the Z trigger to the right button, both of them function as they should (the Z trigger changes the camera, R button ducks). The problem must be that is there is some control called “C button mode” set to the same button as the Z trigger. Whatever it is dosen’t to do anything, how can I clear this control to that “C button mode” has no button for it?

I quick fixed that, but now there’s another problem. In Yoshi Story, the directional pad and analog stick are supposed to do different things, here they are both the same controls. How do I fix this?

You probably have analog to digital mode enabled in your input settings.

Don’t, its set to none.

You’re a tenacious soul, bomberswarm2. I tried messing with this for ages and finally gave up and went back to Project64. The only annoying thing about setting up PJ64 was mapping the esc key to exit the emulator— controller setup is a breeze :stuck_out_tongue: