How To Reset Key Map Without Using the Retroarch GUI

I have accidentally remapped both my keyboard and only working controller keys in such a way that there is no way to access any of the menu items, ie., there is no key which acts as X and Z. I did this attempting to get my OEM NES (RetroUSB) controller working which is not being recognized; there was no way to escape the key binding cycle and I accidentally pushed z a bunch of times and x a couple times, so now Retroarch pretty much is a paper-weight. thanks

The easiest thing is just to delete your retroarch.cfg and it will generate a new one for you when you run it again. There’s also a retroarch-default.cfg that you can copy and rename to retroarch.cfg to get the default folder paths.

If you already had a bunch of settings that you don’t want to lose, you can open up your retroarch.cfg and delete all of the lines that start with input_player1_

Cool. thanks.

Would you have any idea why the RetroUSB isn’t configuring? Retroarch isn’t responding to any inputs from it.

Also, deleting the retroarch.cfg worked, but the user interface has been reduced to a command prompt aesthetic, no graphical styling.

That means it can’t find the assets. You’ll either need to go into settings > directories and point the ‘assets’ option to wherever your menu assets are located (probably the ‘assets’ subdirectory in your RetroArch directory) or just set to somewhere you have write access to and re-download them from the online updater.

For your adapter, does it display any messages when you plug it in? Like “[whatever] connected” in yellow block letters?

[QUOTE=hunterk;35350]That means it can’t find the assets. You’ll either need to go into settings > directories and point the ‘assets’ option to wherever your menu assets are located (probably the ‘assets’ subdirectory in your RetroArch directory) or just set to somewhere you have write access to and re-download them from the online updater.

For your adapter, does it display any messages when you plug it in? Like “[whatever] connected” in yellow block letters?[/QUOTE] Yes, it displays the message. I think I may have figured the controller out. It listed Retropad as the player_1 but there was another option that was set to a secondary mouse. I switched that to retrousb and things are working. Thanks

Oh nice. Glad you got it going.