How to run the new Sonic port for C64 in RetroArch?

Tried all Vice cores and enabled the expansion option but the rom doesn’t run:

Works fine here. Make sure you have the correct BIOS files in the retroarch system directory. And also unzip the game. VICE crashes if you try to load a zip.

Also note that there’s a v1.1 update for the game as well. (https://csdb.dk/release/?id=212277.)

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, i was trying to load the zipped file. Unzipping it works. Also, i downloaded the 2 part version at first, the second link has only 1 file so i used that.

VICE cores do not require any BIOS files and I can’t get ZIP files to crash.

All I had to do was to enable the REU option as requested.

Edit: Ah, that ZIP fails to load because the file is in a directory. I’ll see what I can do.

The ZIP issue should be sorted now.

How to enable REU option in Vice_x64? I am also trying to load the new Sonic, and I keep getting “no reu found, sonic needs at least 256kb”

I tried every version of Sonic there is.

How about simply enabling the core option:

I dont have that anywhere in my core. I checked every single item. but I did just figure out that I need to use Vice_x64sc. I dont particularly liek that core, as the colours are washed out and the picture is not as clean. At least I can play. the game is fantastic.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks mate

Both cores (x64 and x64sc) have the exact same options, but slightly different defaults. And both can be made to look like the same. The only actual difference is in the video chip accuracy, which makes x64sc a lot slower when warping or fast-forwarding.

And that screenshot was done with x64. And the color dirtyness/accuracy is caused by the “VIC-II Filter” setting, which is not enabled by default in x64.

Why not use the C128 core instead which is the recommended way to play this game? You get full speed 60FPS when using NTSC.