How to set up controllers by core ?

Hello, I’ve set up some different systems , one SNES and a N64 one. Obviously i’d like use my Snes gamepad for the Snes, and my Xbox controller for the N64.

But When I go under the SNES core and define my user1 controller as the Snes one, If I exit, my N64 will have the the Snes controller too. Isn’t it possible to get different controllers for different systems ?

Do you have Configurations by core set to On? It’s set to off by default. There’s also an option to Load overrides and you want that On.

‘Configurations by core’ doesn’t exist anymore. It’s been superseded by the override system.

The way the controls work is like this: you have a physical pad that you hold in your hands and then there’s a virtual gamepad abstraction called the ‘retropad’. The retropad looks sort of like a wii u pro controller and we provide a default mapping of the core’s inputs onto that retropad abstraction. When you go to settings > input >p1 input binds, you’re mapping the retropad’s buttons onto those of your physical pad. Then, when you load a core and some content and go back into the ‘quick menu’, there’s a menu named ‘controls’ where you can move the core’s inputs around on the retropad (i.e., you can change the default mapping we provide).

If you’re using a gamepad that already is autodetected and autoconfigured by RetroArch, you can just go straight to the ‘controls’ menu and it will list your pad’s buttons by name and you can move the core’s buttons around accordingly.

1 Like

Removed as misunderstood how RA works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh ok; thanks for the enlightment; I found the system really confusing.

And for something totally different (still related to controllers)

I now found out that my Xbox controller got totally wrong inputs. (Start button isn’t start, and so on…) In quick menu I just can move inputs, not rebind them and as they’re totally wrong, it’s real pain. And in main settings, if I try to bind from my Xbox controller it seems that it don’t sent any information? (although in game it sends infos because i got wrong inputs, but it detects when I press a key anyway) And i’ve tested from all device indexes available, even the Xinput

You can try using a different input driver in settings > driver. I think ‘raw’ sometimes works better, but dinput is another good one.

Ok thanks, I’ll take a good look at it