How to set Wii to 240p/double-strike?

I’ve been trying to get my Wii working with my CRT. I have a component connection, but it’s just a regular tube, not a PVM, so it only works with 240p & 480i. My problem is that I can’t get games which would have originally run at 240p/double-strike resolutions to do so in Retroarch on the Wii. I’ve been testing with the SNES version of the 240p Test Suite, emulated of course, and the striped sprite test exposes most of my problems I’m having (it lets you move a sprite with horizontal lines and transparency around the screen, over a background—the horizontal line test works too). The lines aren’t even, and sometimes get doubled in height. This shows up in games, too; in Mega Man X, for instance, the health meter is noticeably wonky due to uneven line heights. Also, toggling 240p/480i inside the Test Suite does nothing—the image seems to always be interlaced, or at least it has that type of flickering.

I’ve compared this with the native Wii 240p test suite, which passes all of these tests, as does the SNES version in Retroarch on Windows. And the virtual console titles I have, when switched to 240p mode, don’t flicker at all (they do in 480i mode ofc).

So it looks like I have a scaling issue and an interlacing issue. I’ve read the stickied thread on optimal setups, but I can’t find the option to change for the life of me. I checked out the cfg file and the gui, but didn’t see anything. And I’ve tried a lot of different resolutions, but they never change the results.

I could take pictures if anyone wants, but I can’t right now. This was on 1.3.6 stable.

If this is a system limitation, then no problem. But I’ve heard that Retroarch can do it, and I have a few other software titles that can, so I thought I’d ask.

Someone tell me what I’m missing? Thanks. :slight_smile:

You just need to go into settings > video and set RetroArch’s resolution to the emulated system’s resolution.

hunterk

I downloaded the latest nightly, but all colors give black screen and my TV of a “TV does not support the resolution” is a TV 32 "Full HD video components connected via cable to the Wii, any ideas?

Many HDTVs do not support 240p over component connections. You should only try to use 240p resolutions on a CRT.

Well, this is embarrassing. I was changing the custom viewport height and width, not the screen resolution :P. Sometimes, you just need hunterk to tell you to look through the options again, you know? Thanks for that.

On a side note, the load recent menu seems to have a problem. It lists the recent content and roms, but choosing run doesn’t do anything. The lpl seems to be getting updated with the right paths, so I don’t know what to say about that.

Also, the Genesis Plus GX core seems to have its left/right audio channels swapped. A pretty easy fix with analog RCA cables (haha), but I play other games too sometimes.

I can figure everything else out from here, thanks everyone!