How to specify app files and cores?

I use Retroarch on Linux since years and I like the way I can access every file, delete cores, specify directories. But on my Android phone, I cannot do this. I cannot shift the app to sdcard even if its formatted as internal memory on Android 6. I cannot set the core directory in menu or config file, it will always return to its system folder which is not accesable because I don’t have root. Because its not accessible I also cannot even delete core files which doesn’t work or are too slow for my device, the space is filled up with this cores which I don’t need, but I need the space. The only workaround I found is to save the config file, delete all data, restore the config file and redownload all required cores. This is of course the most nonsense way to do this.

So my question is if I am missing the correct settings to do the things stated, to keep my app clean and flexible, without missing the luxus to test and discard cores.

Those are all limitations caused by Google’s security policies in Android. Most apps are able to use external storage for at least some things by requesting access from the user, but Google provides no way to do that as a native (i.e., non-Java) application.

However, you do have the ability to delete cores from within the app now (it was added a few months ago, IIRC). I believe it requires actually loading the core first, which means cores that fail to load can’t be removed, but it’s better than nothing.

if you can root your device, you will have access to alls folders and manually delete cores with an file explorer like x-plorer. I usually do it on my shield tv.

Unfortunately I cannot root my device.

But the way hunterk described works.

• Load core
  • Select Core to be removed
  • Information
  • Core Information
  • Delete Core

So the cores are still on the internal storage taking lots of space, but with this method I can at least test and delete unwanted cores.

Excellent help, thank you.

1 Like