How to unassign an input key?

On my Shield Portable, I normally assign fast forward hotkey to the R shoulder button and this has worked fine for a lot of games no matter the core. Now though, I just started a PS game that requires R1 to function but I can’t find a way to unassign the hotkey anymore. All I could do is change it to a different input key

Bump. So its been over a month now and I still haven’t figured out a way to unbind keys.

I recently tried retroarch on the 3ds. Latest nightly and well, same issue there too.

Go to settings > player 1 binds and find the button you want to unbind and press retropad ‘start’ on it to return it to default.

Wait, sorry this is a bit confusing. So say I’m using the genesis plus core and I wanted to unmap the “Fast Forward Hold” hotkey which is set to my Shield Portable’s R1/right shoulder button (I am on per core configs if that makes any difference. I noticed with this, the entire configuration of whatever past core you were using seems to get copied and carried over to any new core you wanted to setup and the past core I was using had r1 set to that key). When I go to settings > input user 1 binds, I see a bunch of bindings that have been auto set for my Shield. Left side seem to be retroarch buttons, right side are my Shield’s inputs. The only reference to my shield’s right shoulder button I can find there is “Auto: R (btn)” and that’s set to “User 1 Z”. It’s already set to whatever default value it’s set too so I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do here.

Also, how do you press “retropad start”? Is that the same as what my Shield’s start button functions as? The only way I’ve been able to reset inputs to default is to go to settings > input and click/ select the “User 1 Bind Default All” (only found this out by accident too since you don’t get any prompt, message or feedback from hitting this option). This only resets the “Input User 1 Binds” section though and doesn’t touch the hotkey binds.

Yes start is the start button of course, whatever you have set as START works to “set setting to defaults”

I wish that were the case but hitting start on a highlighted input I want to re-set to default does nothing, unless I’m doing something wrong.

are you trying to default it while you have some content loaded with the core you wanted to mess with? That is, if you’re using core-specific configs, you’ll need to make sure that core’s config is loaded and active for any of your changes to stick with it.

Wait, it works now. Weird, I swear it wasn’t doing anything whenever I hit Start but cool, I can properly setup my inputs now per core. Thanks for the help