How to Update Retroarch? Reccomended

I dont want to mess chunking files. There is a clean way to update it clean and simple? I has been using the exe installer from nightly version, so can i use it?

1 Like

You can usually press F5 to get into the desktop menu and then use the updater from there, though Iā€™ve heard some people had trouble with it updating to 1.8.2. Just make a backup of your RetroArch folder before trying it and you should be golden.

2 Likes

Ok I did this and then had to restart retroarch. But It wont open it is saying missing many .dll files so I got screwed :sleepy: NOw just unistalled completely and will reinstall new versionā€¦ hope saved config files will work

That means you need the redist libs from the buildbot, as well, which indicates that we updated the toolchain used to build RetroArch and/or added a dependency since you installed your previous version.

Follow the steps listed below to update RetroArch to the latest version

• Open web browser on your device
  • Go to the official Liberto website download page
  • Click on the version of Retroarch you want to download
  • Look for two files _RetroArch.7z and redist.7z And download them.
  • Now go to the download folder on your computer.
  • Highlight both of the .7Z files and extract them to the RetroArch folder using WinRar or WinZip.
  • Navigate to LaunchBox -> Emulators -> RetroArch and click ok Source: https://emulatos.com/how-to-update-retroarch/

I see this desktop menu option specifically states ā€˜Update RetroArch (nightly)ā€™ -donā€™t suppose thereā€™s any similarly easy way to update to the most recent stable build instead?

Also, I presume using this option if youā€™re on an older build and skipping several stables released since may once again mean you need the ā€œredist libs from the buildbot, as wellā€ ?

The in-menu option doesnā€™t work anymore. It depended on some server-side stuff thatā€™s not there anymore (thatā€™s part of why we removed it in the first place).

But yes, if you skip a few stables, youā€™ll probably need redist libs, so itā€™s usually better to just get the full-fat package and drop it onto your existing installation to make sure you get everything.

1 Like