I would like to present you some kind of guide how to set up Dymanic Wallpaper and Boxart features in RetroArch 1.2. The reason why I’m doing this because it’s not documented anywhere (it least I could’t find) how to do it and it’s not obviously understanded from the menu. So I’ve spent some time to figure out it by myself.
First of all these 2 features are not 100% done at the moment. There are bugs in them and they don’t work well both in the same time. Second, this guide is for full stable 1.2 version of RA. If you are using some early nightly build or just simply overwrighted any previuos version with files from 1.2 to keep your config settings some feature may not work for you. Third, you have to scan your roms collection and organise them into library to get the features to take effect. Add Content -> Scan Directory -> Select dir that you want to scan. Restart RetroArch.
- Dynamic Wallpaper feature (an easy one)
- In RetroArch go to Settings -> Menu Settings -> Dynamic Wallpaper and enable it.
- Set up your wallpaper dir in Settings -> Directory Settings -> Dynamic Wallpapers Dir. Use one of the dir presented in assets. For exemple: [I]<Your RetroArch Dir>\assets\wallpapers\posterized consoles\1440x900[/I]
- Restart RetroArch
Updated for RA v1.3.0+
- Disable XMB Ribbon Shader: Settings -> Menu -> Menu Shader Pipeline OFF
- Boxart (a tricky one)
- Create ‘boxart’ dir in your RetroArch directory (or anywhere else, it doesn’t really matter just keep your stuff organized). For example: d:\Games\RetroArch\boxart\
- In RetroArch go to Settings -> Menu Settings -> Display Boxart and enable it
- Set up your boxart dir you’ve created above in [I]Settings -> Directory Settings -> Boxart Dir
- [/I]Now google some images for your games and copy them to boxart dir. Images should be in PNG format.[I]
- [/I]Rename your images accordinly game names in your collection. To find out game names go to …\RetroArch\playlists\ dir and open file that represent appropriate system your game belongs.
[HR][/HR]For example: You are trying to set up boxart for Batman & Robin for Genesis[I].
- [/I]File you’re looking for: d:\Games\RetroArch\playlists\Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl - It contains the record like this:[I]
D:\Games\Emu\sega\roms\Adventures of Batman and Robin, The (U) [!].gen Adventures of Batman & Robin, The (USA) D:\Games\Emu\RetroArch2\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll Genesis Plus GX 0CAAA4AC|crc Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl [/I]
- Rename your image in a boxart dir to look like this: d:\Games\RetroArch\boxart\Adventures of Batman & Robin, The (USA).png [HR][/HR]
- After you’ve done with renaming restart RertoArch