Hyperkin Admiral (BT pad) nor working in RA via Steam Link (no Start)

Hello all, hope someone can help.

I own 2 Hyperkin Admiral controllers that I would like to use through the Steam Link to play N64 games through Retroarch.

The controllers are paired to the Steam Link by bluetooth. When testing the controller on the Steam Link (prior to streaming anything) the buttons (including the start button) are all detected correctly.

When streaming Retroarch, the controller at first appears to work well, but the start button is not working. Weirdly, pressing the start button twice brings up the Steam overlay, but otherwise doesn’t work in-game.

Going to controller settings and attempting to map the start button to “start” doesn’t work either - presses of the start button are simply not detected when attempting to bind (other than, as I say, opening the Steam overlay).

Things I’ve tried already that don’t work:

1. Changing controller driver (xinput, dinput, sda2) - doesn’t help.
  2. Disable Steam overlay - doesn’t help.
  3. Setting Steam Input to “forced off” for Retroarch - doesn’t help.
  4. Only enabling “Generic Gamepad Configuration Support” in Steam BPM before streaming Retroarch - doesn’t help.
  5. Only enabling “XBox Configuration Support” in Steam BPM before streaming Retroarch - doesn’t help.
  6. Using BPM, and also running Retroarch without using BPM - no difference.

It’s as if the Steam Link, or Steam (even when disabled) are somehow interfering with the connection between the controller and Retroarch in such a way as to prevent the start button from acting as a start button.

Any ideas?

I think Guide/Home buttons can act like this (and be unmappable). I’m not sure what can be done about that, though. That’s out of our hands, if it doesn’t report a keycode.

Does the Windows gamepad utility show a keycode when you press it?