I can not for the life of me get gsync/freesync to work

I’m kind of at my wit’s end. I don’t know if this is a core problem, a retroarch problem, a monitor problem or a computer problem. When running at 160hz, turning on “sync to content framerate” DOES improve frame pacing versus having it off, but it’s not nearly as smooth as just manually setting my refresh rate to 60hz. I’m still getting stutters every 3-4 seconds.

• I'm using a laptop with a 5900h, RTX 3070

• I have gsync enabled for fullscreen in the nvidia settings

• My monitor's native refresh rate is 160hz

• I have the vertical refresh rate setting set to 160hz

• I have vsync on

• I have "Sync to Exact Content Framerate" on

• I have vsync swap interval on 1, and frame delay set to 0

• I've tried with the Vulkan, glcore, and d3d11 video backends

• I've tried with runahead on and off

• I've tried with the FCEUMM, SNES9X, PCE Beetle, Paralle and the Genesis Plus GX core

Same results in all cores. I’m not sure if I’m missing something, if this is intended and just how the gsync functionality typically performs, or if it’s just my monitor (but I get the same issue with my external monitor and my laptop’s screen [which has freesync] so I’m not sure if that’s it). And there’s not a lot of information about it on the web that I can find

I’d appreciate any insight!

1 Like

Could you try with vsync off from RA menu and ON from the Nvidia settings maybe?

1 Like

Just tried that, no dice. Disabling vsync in retroarch, even with the global vertical sync setting in the nvidia control panel set to “on”, makes the framerate half. And I -still- have the same stutter on top of that.

Odd behavior.

I would try setting the Nvidia driver options to default or better yet, re-installing/updating them offline from scratch, after i nuke them first with something like DDU. Then enabling gsync only.

And also trying a fresh retroarch.cfg and only enabling “sync to exact content frame rate” and making it fullscreen without touching anything else to see how it behaves.

3 Likes

Just to verify g-sync is actually active, enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia control panel. Go to the “G-SYNC” section. Once there, a new menu entry will become available in the menu bar at the top: “Display->Show indicator for g-sync”. Select that.

Now when you start RetroArch, there should be some text somewhere in a corner of the screen saying “G-SYNC”. If not, then g-sync is prevented from working for some reason.

1 Like