I can't even select the menu options on RetroArch

Hello guys,

I installed RetroArch emulator on Ubuntu 14.10, there were no problems with the installation itself but when I open the software I can’t “properly” select any options from the main menu because it seems to be accelerated, e.g. when I click the down arrow once, it jumps six times. With some patience I got to select a core and run a game, but as expected the game was behaving oddly (accelerated and “all blinky”).
It looks like some sort of problem with the FPS because it is around 800 and changes a lot.

I think my openGL library and nvidia drivers are at the latest versions.

Any ideas?

Thank You!

Are you using from PPA? Stable or testing?

I’m using the version from ppa:libretro/stable. I have libretro* and retroarch* installed.

Thanks.

That’s usually a result of either vsync not working properly or no blocking on audio, possibly as a result of problems with ALSA.

It looks like the FPS drops over time… going down to 80 or so, so it is at least possible to select options. The vsync is on and I don’t know how to verify if it’s working properly or not… But it seems a problem with the audio indeed, when I started a game it wasn’t accelerated but the sound was broken.

What should I do? I don’t really want to uninstall alsa and reinstall it… because it tries to uninstall packages as ubuntu-desktop along, what is not very safe I guess.

Thanks!

Sound broken? Try pulse instead alsa, in Settings --> Drivers

I had this exact same thing happen to me.

I was able to get it working by setting ‘Limit Maximum Run Speed’ to ON, and setting the limit to 1.0. Seemed to lock the FPS to 60 on my monitor.

How can I tell if vsync is working? My sound works fine in games, in fact everything seems to be working great except zooming around the menus at top speed.

Edit: Everytime I start up Retroarch in the terminal, I see the following:

RetroArch [WARN] :: gfx_ctx_glx_swap_interval :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval() failed. RetroArch [WARN] :: gfx_ctx_glx_swap_interval :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval() failed. RetroArch [WARN] :: gfx_ctx_glx_swap_interval :: [GLX]: glXSwapInterval() failed.

Thank you guys!

The “Limit Maximum Run Speed” solved it all.

Also setting the sound driver to Pulse solved the sound inside the game indeed, but with the “limit max run speed = on” even alsa is working fine again.

Limit maximum run speed isn’t a real fix though… V-sync is still broken