I have a saves problem that doesn't make any sense

Ok let me explain what i mean by not making any sense.

I have an older build of RetroArch that i use with two different frontends, Launchbox and Hyperspin/RocketLauncher.

Save/loading works great with everything. It saves where it’s supposed to, in Retroarch\Saves directory. This is how it’s setup in all cfgs.

So i decided to upgrade and downloaded the latest nightly of RA today. I setup a few systems and tested them with the frontends. And now here’s my problem:

The save/loading works great with RetroArch itself and Launchbox but for some reason it doesn’t work with Hyperspin. Instead of using the directory i have in my cgf, it uses the “content directory” folder, where my roms are. I cannot, for the life of me, fix this. I try to force different directories and it still uses the rom folder. The weird thing is that when i use the older Retroarch setup, hyperspin use the the proper saves folder even though I HAVE THE SAME SETTINGS EVERYWHERE!

I don’t get it. All the settings are the same in Hyperspin and both RetroArch setups. I even used the same versions of the cores. But for some reason i can’t figure out, the new RA + Hyperspin combo doesn’t want to use the proper save folder.

Can someone explain to me why this happens? I cannot use the new RA setup if i can’t fix this so i’m stuck with a 5 month+ old build…

Probably RocketLauncher trying to load a different config from somewhere that has different save directory settings. Content directory is the default setting for when you don’t have a save directory set. I don’t use RL, but you should try fiddling with it’s settings and possibly checking it’s RetroArch ahk script to see how it handles settings loading.

I don’t think the problem is with RocketLauncher. I just replaced the Nightly RA with the latest stable and the problem got fixed.

I build RetroArch every time I use it. Here are my config entries for defining the location of save files.

savefile_directory = ":\saves"
savestate_directory = ":\saves"

It is possible that Hyperspin and/or RocketLauncher is not looking for the correct config entry names. I believe some of the config entries for directory locations were renamed recently.

Like i said, once i changed the Retroarch.exe file with the latest stable the problem was fixed. I triple checked Rocketlauncher’s RetroArch.AHK and the save paths are all correct. The problem must be somewhere in the later nightlies.

The paths are correct, but are RocketLauncher’s config entry names correct? Is it correctly looking for “savefile_directory” and “savestate_directory”?

This is the setting in RetroArch.Ahk:

srmPath := emuPath . “\saves” saveStatePath := emuPath . “\states”

And this is the setting in all my RetroArch configs:

savefile_directory = “:\saves” savestate_directory = “:\states”

I’m using the latest stable retroarch.exe and it saves fine where it’s supposed to. I mean, i never had this problem, it always worked even in 1.2 versions or older. The problem occurs only when i use the newer nightlies where it saves in the ROMs path. So something has changed in the nightlies because if the problem was with the AHK, it wouldn’t work with the latest stable or older, right?

If something has indeed changed in the later RetroArch nightlies and it’s on purpose, then the AHK needs to be updated for it but i don’t know what to change to make it work.

GemaH, maybe your config file path is incorrect when telling Hyperspin/RocketLauncher to use the nightly.

Thanks for the responses guys, i will try to make a fresh setup when i get some time and so step by step.

Hi,

I have the same problem but it maybe difficult to explain with my bad English so sorry …

When I load a retroarch cfg with RA alone it work great: For example I have a Sony Playstation.cfg and savestate path is configured with a different path ( for example C:/savestate ) , I load it with Retroarch and load Mednafen PSX I play a game and make a savestate . All is working fin, my savestate is in C:/savestate

When a load a game with RocketLauncher GUI it load retroarch and Sony Playstation.cfg too but it rewrite savestate path to default settings ( content dir ) , I see that when a press F1 and go to settings in RA

I don’t know what happened

If someone have idea

Thanks and sorry again for my bad English

Updated to latest nightly. Problem still exists when i launch through RocketLauncher.

I triple checked all the cfgs in both Retroarch.cfg and Retroarch.Ahk. The paths are correct. I even made those read only so they won’t be overwritten.

The latest nightly still saves in the wrong path (inside the ROMs folder always instead of the “saves” folder). When i overwrite the stable version over the nightly the problem goes away.

So i’m still stuck with using the latest stable and can’t update : /

EDIT: I think i figured it out.

When using the latest RetroArch nightlies, RocketLauncher ignores everything you have setup about save paths and only looks at a “core_libretro.dll.cfg” file inside the /config folder.

For instance, if you want to setup N64 save paths, you need a “mupen64plus_libretro.dll.cfg” in the /config foder and set your save paths there. It has to have the “dll” word in the name. Everything else is ignored, even if you set up the /config folder in RocketLauncher in a different folder and even if RA reports that it loaded a different cfg.

This only happens with the latest RetroArch nightlies though. The latest Stable doesn’t have this weird issue.

But this doesn’t explain why the behavior changes whenever i use the latest nightly of RetroArch. If hyperlaunch was the problem, it woul have the same issue with the latest stable of RetroArch. But it saves fine with it. Only the nightlies have this problem.

Hi have this problem too, it need to have a core_libretro.dll.cfg ( like you ) to save correctly in the good path.

The difference for me it I have a different save path like Radius ( My path is in a shared nas folder ) but I have this issue with nigthly and stable ( 1.3.2 and 1.3.4 ) .

For example :

• With 1.3.4 saves are in the rom folder if I don’t have a core_libretro.dll.cfg ( SonyPlaystation.cfg + mednafencore.dll.cfg )
  • With 1.3.2 saves are in save folder in Retroarch
  • Last Nightly have the same issue like 1.3.4

I checked all the yesterday afternoon with stable 1.3.2 / 1.3.4 and last nightly the issue is the same just different folders .

I don’t know if it is a Rocketlauncher problem or Retroarch or twice

Sorry it’s difficult to me to write in a correct English I wish you understand me

Thanks

Edit: I checked today and I found an other bug/think

Whithout mednafen_psx_libretro.dll.cfg

1.3.0 srm in srm folder
         1.3.2 srm in srm folder and mcr in rom folder
         1.3.4 srm in srm folder and mcr in rom folder

Nightly 13-06-2016 srm and mcr in rom folder

With an mednafen_psx_libretro.dll.cfg + Sony PlayStation.cfg all work perfectly for the savefiles I can put where I want ( for example a Path to my Nas ) when I use RocketLauncher , but …

When a path is configured for savefiles in directory/savefiles, configurations override are not loaded . If I have a default folder ( “content dir” in directory/savefiles ) configurations override are loaded

This issues is for Retroarch alone and with RockerLauncher

I found an other things too, when you want configure a path for savefiles dir you have to do that with Retroarch :

• Load Retroarch=>Load configuration=>Configure Path in Directory/Savefiles and Save new config =>Then rename the.cfg to Sony Playstation.cfg
  • If I want do that with a Text Editor this configuration is ignored ( I don’t know why )

I don’t use Hyperspin for these tests only Retroarch Alone and Retroach load with RocketLauncher

I use xmb videodriver

I wish you can do something if I can help I can test

Thanks