I have read all the Colecovision posts ... but

Hi -

I have read everyones posts about colecovision. Some say it works fine, others say it is not user friendly. I am debating if i should give this any more effort. I have loaded the bluemsx and made sure that the retroarch config is set to: bluemsx_msxtype = “Auto” I have my coleco.rom loaded in the same folder as my roms are and while troubleshooting in the directory with the bluemsx - then took it out.

I also tried moving the Coleco machine and database folders into RA system folder. That made RA crash. — should i take out only the coleco files and put them into the system folder? do i need to change any naming conventions?

Any good documents or videos to follow?

Running windows 10 Retroarch

Is Colecovision an option? or is it too much trouble?

Many thanks in advance

I’m also running RetroArch on Windows 10 - and I did manage to get ColecoVision to work, so I’m sure we can sort out whatever the problem is. It’s been a while since I set it up so I’m just looking at my options to figure it out.

Def need “Auto” in core options - so you’re good there.

You’ll for sure need both the Machines and Database folders in the RetroArch\System folders. As I recall, I got these from an install of the actual BlueMSX emulator’s directory and transplanted them here:

• …\System\Databases
  • …\System\Machines

The coleco.rom file though - I checked my own setup and it shows up in 2 places:

• …\System\Machines\COL - ColecoVision
  • …\System\Machines\COL - ColecoVision with Opcode Memory Extension

I hope this helps. Let me know.

You are my new best friend!!!

So that worked! I am at the screen with the COLECOVSION screen with Donkey Kong ready to go …

What are the keyboard mappings ?

So i get to here:

I let this screen “time out”

Then it goes to here:

And then Q, A, and S seems to get me into the game but i dont know what those letters correspond to.

After i get the keyboard under control - do you use joytokey or a 3rd party app for the controls? or does retroarch make this plug and play?

Again … many thanks for your help here - i grew up in the 80’s and Colecovision was my first console at home … (yea i know - im showing my age!)

brings back many memories - cant wait for my kids to play this

Many thanks in advance

Dugan

1 Like

Happy to help! I hope your kids enjoy it as much as you did.

As for the keymapping - RetroArch is quite plug-n-play from what I understand. I don’t personally use it’s native features as it wasn’t right for my extremely odd setup.

I use Xpadder to map my controls to the keyboard, and then setup RetroArch with those same keys. This doesn’t exactly work great with Analogue though - so even then it’s complex on my side.

Honestly I haven’t ‘played’ much of this system. So I’m not sure off hand how the controls work - these keypad systems are always a bit odd. However in the core info file (You can find this on RA’s main menu under Information>Core Information, as well) It says:

ColecoVision Gamepad Mapping is as follow: Button 1 as Retropad A Button 2 as Retropad B Dial keys 1 to 8 as X, Y, R, L, R2, L2, R3, L3 Star as Select, Hash as Start 0 & 9 are on keyboard 1 & 2 for Player 1 0 & 9 are on keyboard 3 & 4 for Player 2

you guys are great

thank you so much

Do you happen to know about Rocket Launcher? getting this error when trying to use RL so i can use Coleco on Hyperspin. How do i change this? I am using Retroach BlueMSX not Mess

Last question - did you pick xpadder over joytokey for a reason? or did u just start with that and stuck with that?

I guess this is not a Retroach thing - but i found out how to change it - in case anyone else is running into this issue:

Rocketlauncher

Select Colecovision on left panel Modules RetroArch Edit Global Module Settings Colecovision tab LibRetro_Core (click magnifying glass) Point to preferred core.

im 100% up and running on Colecovision!

Hi! I’ve just started using RA, and don’t know my way around configuration settings yet. Could you break this down a little more? I don’t even know how to get into core options!

I am such a RA newb! But I am already really excited to play some of my favorite old games. The ColecoVision was the first game system I owned as a kid.

Thanks for any help you can offer. This already gives me a place to start.

Go to docs.libretro.com

Have a little read of “for users/getting started” and “for users/core documentation” find the colecovision core… think its under “multi/msx-coleco (bluemsx)”

Enjoy your time here :slight_smile: