I have to unplug and replug my controller every time I open a game

Please help me with this issue.

Running Retroarch 1.15.0 on Linux, installed via snap.

I have a Moga “XP5-X Plus” controller that worked wonder with previous installations f Retroarch on the same PC (and works flawlessly on other systems for what its worth).

I recently reinstalled my laptop, and now this is happening.

What could I do to resolve the issue or help you in debugging it?

Many thanks!

1 Like

Follow-up, this might be interesting for other users and maybe the dev (or packaging?) team might want to verify the snap installation.

I uninstalled the snap installation of Retroarch. I installed the flatpak version instead.

Very same Retroarch build version.

With the flatpak package that one issue is gone, so it was related to the snap package only.

Thanks for caring,

3 Likes

Yep, this is a known issue with the snap package. I don’t know what’s causing it, but I know it’s something on the snap side (i.e., not RetroArch’s fault) because I compiled older, known-good revisions of the code as snaps and they had the same behavior.

Unfortunately, when I posted about it at the snap support forum, I got zero traction, so we’re just kinda stuck unless/until someone can figure out what’s going wrong.

1 Like

Oh, OK. I guess, maybe the snap package shouldn’t be listed among the options then? I mean, it’s a pretty massive bug this one here and a lot of users might go through some frustrations or give up.

At the very least I’d put a warning if I may.

Something like “snap package [BEWARE: there is a bug preventing the controller to be recognized every time you fire up a game”.

Seriously, it is pretty big and probably causing a significant loss of time to quite some people.

Thanks for caring whether you agree or not :smiley:

For reference, here is the ticket related to this issue.

2 Likes

I recently install the PPA of Retro Arch on my Linux Mint box and it run’s well in “rgui” mode. Just an idea if you want to give it a try.