I made a Nightly Updater Program

Maybe a silly crazy question and maybe there is an option out there, but, can you have this perform an update based on the stable build as well?

I will look into adding a Stable option, or even release a Stable downloader. I will PM you when.

Thanks for considering it, a real pain to hem and haw about the “best” way to update the stable build. Will be hoping the change required is minimal!

https://stellarupdater.github.io

Update 0.8.3

###GitHub Download

User Guide

Change Log

• Added “New Cores” option
  • Optimized Load Saved Settings
  • Uses new method for Loading Themes
  • Reduced Program Size by 40%

Notes

If the program starts with a white background, go to Configure → Clear Saved, restart program. or go to C:\Users[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Stellar and delete the old configs.

Menu Options

• New Install - Installs RetroArch, Redistributables, & Cores. Replaces Configs with default.
  • Upgrade - Upgrades RetroArch to the latest version, including Redistributables and Configs.
  • RetroArch - Updates RetroArch to the latest version, excluding Redistributables and Configs.
  • RA + Cores - Updates RetoArch and currently installed Cores.
  • Cores - Updates currently installed Cores.
  • New Cores - Installs Cores that are newly releseased or missing from your current install.
  • Redist - Installs Redistributables. Helpful if RetroArch won’t start after update.

Update 0.8.4

GitHub Download

User Guide

New Features

I’ve tried to improve the accuracy by using a new method to fetch cores from the update list, thanks to @anon24419061 suggestion.

And to exclude unknown or renamed cores that are still in the folder, causing date comparisons to be off.

I’ve tested all the features, though it’s still experimental, let me know how it works.

• Changed Parse HTML to index-extended
  • Changed File Creation/Modified Time to UTC
  • Added Debug Window
  • Added Star Dust Theme
  • Added Chaos Theme

Fixes

• “New Install” Cores Extraction
  • “New Cores” Check Clear
  • Excludes Unknown Cores

Notes

• If the program starts with a white background, go to Configure → Clear Saved, restart program. Or go to C:\Users[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Stellar and delete the old configs.

• If you receive “Error: Cannot connect to Server”, try a few times, it may have failed to download the cores list.

• If certain cores are throwing the updater out of sync, delete them and use “New Cores” option to download a new version.

• If you Update cores, but it still says they are out of date, it might be a Time Zone problem.

Menu Options

• New Install - Installs RetroArch, Redistributables, & Cores. Replaces Configs with default.
  • Upgrade - Upgrades RetroArch to the latest version, including Redistributables and Configs.
  • RetroArch - Updates RetroArch to the latest version, excluding Redistributables and Configs.
  • RA + Cores - Updates RetroArch and currently installed Cores.
  • New Cores - Installs Cores that are newly releseased or missing from your current install.
  • Redist - Installs Redistributables. Helpful if RetroArch won’t start after update.

First and foremost, THANK YOU! Fantastic work!

Report:
0.8.4 Beta , stuck at “extracting retroarch” if cores are “already latest version” when using “RA+Cores”.
When only “Retroarch” is selected, everything is okay.

Thanks for finding the bug.

I replaced the same download with a v0.8.4.1 hotfix.

I tested it and I believe it’s been fixed.

This is nice, I’ll wait a little more to use it

Thanks, I will test and optimize it further.

last stellar version crashes every time when pressing the check or update buttons.

Click the Configure button and Clear Saved Settings.

See if that fixes it.

Also is your Cores path in C:\Program Files\ or in your User folder?

Cleared the settings since the backfround image was lost, the crash only happens when checking anything with cores related, if only check for retroarch builds the app works fine but if check RA + Cores, Cores or New Cores the app crashes.

my path is in C:\users\myusername\downloads\Retroarch

Go to C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Stellar and delete the config folders.

If that doesn’t fix it, I will have to add some error checks that display a message so we can identify where the problem is.

I will have to get to it tomorrow, Im away from my PC. Im also using Win 10.

deleted everything inside AppData\Local\Stellar, still crashing

I’ve identified the error and replaced the download with a fixed version.

The Buildbot Date List was going out of range when it checked for mismatched cores. But this didn’t happen on my setup, only when I tested it on another PC.

I will work on v0.8.5 and redesign how it compares and sorts cores so no more errors will occur.

its working again, thanks!

It not working…

Got error: “Error: cannot connect to the Server”.

Trying to get RA+cores 64 bit, latest nightly.

I experience the same problem with “Cannot connect to Server” when ‘checking’ but only when 'RetroArch" or “RA+Cores” is selected.
When “Cores” is selected everything is in order.

This bug appeared two days ago when you fixed something.
The “Download” or “File to be Fetched” box becomes empty after this connection error.

EDIT:
The much older 0.8.3 suddenly has this connection problem too, which means it is not a problem with Stellar.

@cuyo01 @ofry @James-F

It looks like the HTML changed on the Buildbot website. A single quote to a double quote, so the program could not parse the tags. This affected all versions of Stellar. I’m working on v0.8.5, I’ll let you know when I release soon.

Update 0.8.5

GitHub Download

User Guide

Change Log

The last release was broken, thanks all for the reports. I’ve redesigned half of the program and how Core comparison works. I’ve tested on both Windows 10 and 7, it appears to fetch the correct RetroArch and Cores.

It accounts for whether there are Unknown or Missing Cores, and if either the PC or Buildbot List is larger than the other. It also double checks until both Lists Dates are in sync, and I’ve placed Error messages throughout the program.

If some Cores continue to reappear after updating, it may be because of the PC/Server time zones. If anyone can find out what time zone the Server is. It’s still in beta, as there may be configurations I’ve not tested, let me know if this has solved the problems.

• Redesigned Core Comparison
  • Improved Accuracy
  • Fixed Crashes

Notes

• If program starts with a white background, go to Configure → Clear Saved, restart program.

• If program crashes or cores not synced, go to C:\Users[Your Name]\AppData\Local\Stellar and delete the old configs.

• If you receive “Error: Cannot connect to Server”, try a few times, it may have failed to download the cores list.

• If certain cores are throwing the updater out of sync, delete them and use “New Cores” option to download a new version.

• If you Update cores, but it still says they are out of date, it might be a Time Zone problem.

Menu Options

• RA + Cores - Updates RetroArch and currently installed Cores.

@cuyo01 @ofry @James-F

1 Like