I want to control player 1 with 2 controllers

I have 2 8bitdo zero controllers and I was hoping to hold one in each hand and controller player 1 almost like using Switch joy cons. The only problem is that when I sync both, retroarch puts the controllers in ports #0 and #1. I can only choose 1 controller for Device Index when button mapping, and therefore, can only use either controller.

Is there anyway to get retroarch to not assign these devices 2 different device indexes/ports? I’ve search the internet and everything I can find on this subject is how to undo what I’m looking to do.

There’s no way within RetroArch, no.

Just thinking out loud; what if you set your zero controllers buttons binded in joy2key, and then assign those keys in RA? RA should read them as part of the same keyboard without acknowledging they are from two different controllers, right?

Yeah, that should work, but I think he’s on Android, and I don’t think their sandboxing allows that sort of thing to work. Dunno though.

I did not see the Android tag, as I have the forums arranged by Latest, without exclusions. My bad.

Ι always wanted this feature, to be able to “fuse” player 1 and 2 controllers and bind bits and pieces of both in 1 controller. That way i could use the dual analog mode of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark using 1 controller (normally it needs 2, one on each hand like an early Wiimote+nunchuck). I already had this setup in standalone emulators and hoped i could do that in RetroArch.

That’s disappointing that it can’t be done in retroarch, but thanks for the reply. It would be nice if this option could be added to retroarch, though I understand any need for it is niche beyond N64 shooters as mentioned above.

I can’t use joy2key, but I’ve looked into apps that map button presses to the touchscreen. Unfortunately, none of them seemed to work with my version of Android and device. The only exception was Tasker/Autoinput, but that had nearly a half second of input lag. Luckily it looks like standalone emulators have the option to modify which player each controller controls, so it looks like I’ll have to use that in the meantime.