[Idea of implementation]Dropbox sync

Hello guys,

First of all I’m loving this project. I’m making some custom overlays gamepads, so I can play better on my iPhone, and will share with the forum soon, but my objetive here is another.

I ever loved playing emulators, SNES and GBA are my favorites, but losting the save… oh man, it’s very frustating.

I loved the fact that I can play the same save in my Mac that I saved on my iPhone. Currectly I’m syncing them using the icloud, but wanted to use DropBox, unfortunately there’s no way for iPhone… (I can do with icloud because there’s a folder in iphone (/var/mobile/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs to be more especific) that allow me to save and auto sync with icloud) . I wanted to use Dropbox so I can play in every device my saves! I mean, I can simply play on the bus, using iPhone or 3DS, get home and continue playing on my… humm… ps3, or even my wii u! I wanted them synchronyzed! More of it, I have the safety that I will not lost my saves, that for me, is a lot important. Well, maybe retroarch could have an automatic backup of saves too, but this is another idea.

There’s any plan to make this happen on retroarch?? I could contribute with this, but I am very ‘beggining’ with programmation and I am afraid I can’t do it… (maybe with help I can colaborate…) So, this is my idea.

I hope someone that is hard contributing to the app read this.

Thanks! Denis.

RetroArch usually leans on not implementing systems that likely should be part of other applications, or part of the OS. This includes mounting drives, or re-implementing proprietary systems.

If there’s no way to get DropBox working on your iPhone, maybe you should consider a phone that does work with it? Dropbox for Android seems to work well.

I’ve been using a network Samba drive on my NAS. Can mount it across:

• Lakka/LibreELEC media centre
  • My desktop (Ubuntu)
  • My phone (Google Pixel on Android)

On the road, I usually just copy it over, but I have used SyncThing for it before.

Hello RobLoach,

Thanks for the clarification, but any chance of creating a dedicated server for users to provide this service?

I mean, users can choose to pay a determined amount (according to how much disk space user want) to have a service which uploads save/configuration data to the server and provide an automatically sync. The save state usually doesn’t uses a large amount of space (except N64 ones… these are monsters and idk why), so I think this is a viable option. User doens’t need to pay a large amount too… What’s 50GB nowadays? One dollar?

I know this is a project free of charges, but charging is needed as owning a server brings cost to developers.